Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent cold - an indication of deficiency?

Default Frequent cold - an indication of deficiency?

My son is 10 months old and he has been getting a cold every month since november - so this is the fourth time he is getting it. He hasn't even been going to a day care. He is at home most of the time, and everytime we seem to start going out, either for shopping or for dinner (this time around I think it was coz a kid with cold came into the house and played with his toys), he seems to catch a cold. His doctor says he has dust allergy or something (also southern california is known for allergens). My parents tell me that if a baby is catching cold so many times, it is an indication of deficiency and that I should give him some juice with vitamin C + the poly-visol (multivitamin drops that he hates) everyday to have him develop resistance. Is this true? Are such frequent colds (which I try so hard to prevent) an indication of a deficiency? Please help. His main diet is breastmilk, with 2tbsp cereal dinner + 1/2tbsp veggies (mostly sweet potatoes/squash/(carrots/peas mixed with sweet potatoes)) during lunch.
    Thanks in advance.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Frequent cold - an indication of deficiency?

My DD had several upper respiratory infections before she was 6 months old... and DH and I both have serious allergy issues. So, we had her tested. She also has high allergies. Since she has been on allergy shots and Zyrtec, we've not had the same problems... So, allergies might be an issue with your child, too.

If you decide to have him allergy tested, be sure it's with a board certified allergy doctor. That's the best way to go. If it shows nothing, then you've at least ruled stuff out, ya know?

As to whether there is a vitamin deficiency, that's also something your pediatrician could be testing for. Are you still taking vitamins while you are nursing? That would certainly help.

Jacqui

I second the allergy thing. My ds also seems to always have some sort of runny nose etc, he is a big time allergy sufferer. Teething could also be a culprit, hope he feels better.

Jacqui and Brittan,
    Thank you so much for your replies. I have another question - if the cold he has been getting are due to allergies - can I catch it from him too? 3 out of the 4 times he has caught the cold, I have caught it a few days after he has (the cold + sore throat - so this time around, I caught it yesterday). Some say you cannot 'catch' it from a baby?? I am pretty confused about this. We will be travelling in a couple days (long flight journey) and I hope he gets better by then!! Once we are back from our travel, I will get him allergy tested + check for any deficiencies (and yes - I am taking the prenatal vitamins still).
    Thanks again.