Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad poop!

Default Bad poop!

My son is almost 4 months. For the past few weeks his poop has been a dull green & a bit frothy. He is definitely getting enough hind milk so that's not it. Which is why I'm so confused. He's also super constipation. He goes poop 4-8 times a day & It's liquidy but he strains so hard & It's like it hurts. He's not gasy either. I don't know what it could be?! He is ebf (except once a week @ grandma's & she insists on giving him formula even though I gave her tons of pumped milk) any ideas on what could be causing his bad poop?

Default Re: Bad poop!

Formula can cause bowel discomfort. When do you notice the green frothy poops? Everyday or only after gma has him? If it is after gma has him, I would try to kindly tell her that he has been having problems with his bowels from the formula and to please stop giving it to him. Sometimes with over supply babies will get green frothy poops. However if he seems fine otherwise, weight gain and pees and such, I wouldn;t worry about it.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

She has been giving him formula whenever he visits. She'll mix my bm with it. But It's mostly formula. He just recently started having a difficult time pooping. He has a Dr appointment next week so I'll ask him about it. She may have switched the type she buys so I'll have to ask her.

I think the 2 most likely causes for the green, frothy poops are 1) the once-a-week unnecessary formula or 2) some sort of mild gastrointestinal illness (and I say mild because you don't mention any other symptoms). Either way, this is not a big deal: green poops are in the spectrum of normal for poop color, and are not in and of themselves health problems unless accompanied by other issues, like poor growth.

The poop issues you describe are not constipation. Constipation poops are hard, dry, and will roll right off the diaper if you hold it up by one end. They are also infrequent, and 4-8 poops per day is NOT infrequent! The discomfort and straining related to pooping is a little suspicious, but I'm guessing it will clear up in time, particularly if you stop grandma from giving baby formula!

I have to ask why you're leaving your child with his grandma when she blatantly disregards your instructions about baby care. Giving baby unnecessary formula would be a complete deal-breaker for me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"