Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oversupply/OALD & Comfort Nursing

Default Re: Oversupply/OALD & Comfort Nursing

Do you ladies know anything about silent reflux? Do you think it's possible that could be why he wants to nurse so much therefore causing more gas? My doctor said we could try reflux meds but he has no signs of it other than rapid weight gain and fussiness.

I think that babies with silent reflux usually have a persistent cough that sounds "wet", or raspy, or bark-like. If fussiness and rapid weight gain (which is seriously not unusual) are the only symptoms, I would be very reluctant to ascribe them to silent reflux.

If your baby is gassy, as you've described, I'm pretty sure the gas is probably causing at least some (if not most) of the fussiness. My baby did very similar things. Are you helping him by working on the gas throughout the day? Tummy massage, leg bicycling, and pushing the legs up into a squat all. day. long. really does help with the gas. I also often supported my son's legs in a squatting position when I held him. Squatting makes it impossible to tense certain muscles, which make it more difficult to pass gas and stools when tensed. Warm baths help a lot too by relaxing the muscles and allowing gas to pass more easily. I did some leg bicycling before and after baths too.

If you are not already doing these things very frequently throughout the day, then you really should try them. They make a big difference.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks for the reply I am doing the things you've suggested ... I gave him two warm baths today which calmed him right down .,.. For about 10 min :P he was really upset tonight and I could tell he was in a lot of pain .. Crying and letting out big yelps he wouldn't even nurse which has never happened! Nursing has always been the only thumb that's calmed him .. I feel so bad for him. I'm going to keep doing the things you've suggested and just hope he starts feeling better soon.

He doesn't cough but his breathing in general sounds "wet" and raspy ... Almost asthma like. He had a doctor appt yesterday and she didn't say anything about his breathing.
    Last edited by @llli*lovefitness84; July 24th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Keep it up. Keep letting your milk spray into a towel at letdown. Try nursing in a reclined position too. Gravity slows the flow of the milk which helps with the gassiness. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my son on my stomach or chest, and let him lath. It can take a lot of adjustments to find something that works for you, so it's good to keep at it even if it's awkward at first. Side lying nursing can help some too.

Baby wearing also helped a lot with the fussing. I loved my sling when mine was tiny and my Ergo when he got a little bigger.

It's really hard, I know. Mine was really gassy and screamy too. It gets better though. As your baby grows, he learns how to pass gas (the squatting helps teach him what muscles to relax - my son started pulling up his legs into a squat on his own after awhile ) and can better handle a fast flow of milk. Mine even started to giggle when he passed gas after he got bigger.

I'm really not sure about the breathing. It could be normal (mine made lots of weird noises), but I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in about silent reflux. My DD (age 22 months has it) and now my 6 week DS has it. It can definitely cause a baby to either nurse a TON or to not eat at all.

My DD developed a feeding aversion (like absolutely not willing to eat) from it and had a feeding tube. My DS seems to be fine so far with eating, but like yours, spends most of the time fussing.

I too have OALD and perhaps oversupply. I feed one-sided and do some block feeding. This has helped him not choke so much, but doesn't necessarily address the reflux.

The symptoms of silent reflux can be varied - in my kids I see - hoarseness, back arching and screaming as if in pain, esp right after a feeding, but also even up to an hour or so after eating, swallowing sounds when not eating (of the reflux coming up), rubbing of face and nose against stuff (because their nose burns), stridor ( a high pitched squeak made usually upon inhalation that due to the damage the acid is making to their airway),fussing more when laid down than upright, etc.

swallowed air and gas can just exacerbate reflux as it provides more pressure in the stomach to cause the contents to go up the esophagus.

Their is no magic cure for this. Even with meds, for example, my 6 week old has just started meds and now has really bad gas from the meds. But doing meds, keeping the baby upright for a while after feedings, not squishing his tummy too much right after eating, etc.

If baby wants to nurse I say let him. Milk is a natural antacid (as it is alkaline) so can ease the burning. If he's content nursing he's probably getting a slow enough flow most of the time to make it help the reflux but not get "too much".

As a PP said, taking off during let down will help if he's choking or obviously having discomfort with the let down.