Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My DD is 4 weeks and hasnt regained birth weight

Default My DD is 4 weeks and hasnt regained birth weight

Please help! My DD is 4 weeks old and is having a very hard time gaining weight. Birth weight was 6lbs, when we left the hospital she was down to 5 pounds 9oz. At her first check up she had lost more, down to 5.4 lbs. Her pediatric recommended to supplement 1oz of formula after each feeding, as of last friday when we went for her weight check she weighed 5.8lbs , so I nursed her and then they reweighed her and she was at 5.11lbs. So if I understand correctly she got 3her oz of breast milk at that feeding? I am so worried about her, she goes for her next weight check tomorrow (Wednesday). I have been nursing constantly and offering formula after, sometimes she will drink about an ounce and other times she refuses the bottle. What should/can I do to increase my supply so she doesn't have to drink the formula anymore (she doesn't seem to like it!) I am currently taking Fenugreek and drinking tons of water, I pump when I can, but I have 4 other children so that makes it hard. But I am willing to do ANYTHING to help my baby girl. I do not want her to end up in the hospital for failure to thrive :-(
    P.S. my supply does seem to have increased some, every time I nurse her the other breast will leak, alot! I have never had that before and they are starting to feel fuller between feedings. Oh and I nurse her every 2hrs, 3 at night. I have to wake her to feed. TIA! Kim

Default Re: My DD is 4 weeks and hasnt regained birth weight

Unfortunately the problem with before and after nursing weight checks is that they only tell you want happened at that one nursing session. That is why it is preferable to do a few over a few days to get the bigger picture (no one does this btw, but it would be better if they did.) So yes, a 3 ounce intake is VERY good. But is that happening every time? Likely no, if baby cannot gain weight.

Here are some tips:

1) Weight checks must always be done on the same scale with baby naked or in a dry diaper. They need to be done carefully and accurately and the weight has to be written down accurately. YOU have to make sure this happens, make them weigh baby again if need be. I know it sounds crazy but different scales and human error have led too many moms to think baby is not gaining when actually all is well, or at least not as bad as everyone thinks.

2) If you have been keeping a nursing log/supplementing log, and/or an output (particularly poops) log, bring it and show the doctor. Typically at this age baby should be nursing a MINIMUM of 10-12 times a day and pooping at least 3-4 times a day. Knowing how much you baby is nursing and how much baby is pooping will give him or her more info about what is going on. Breastfeeding is always blamed for slow weight gain but sometimes there is actually a medical issue going on. If a baby can nurse well (latch is comfortable, baby does active swallowing for at least part of every feeding) and does nurse frequently enough, there is typically no reason a breastfed baby cannot gain well-unless mom has some pre-existing hormonal or physical issue that causes low milk production. .

3) If baby has still not started gaining as expected, breastfeeding should be assessed by an IBCLC if possible to find out why baby is not getting enough from nursing. You are assuming it is an issue of your milk production, but it may be that baby is not great at transferring milk, or a combo of factors.

4) If supplements are still needed, try giving the supplements PRIOR to nursing (this is called letting baby 'finish at the breast" and is considered a more breastfeeding supportive method, and giving them in a way that is more like breastfeeding. See http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

5) If the issue IS low supply, encouraging baby to nurse often and for as long as baby will, wiht some switching of sides during the feeding, is the best way to increase production. If baby cannot nurse effectively that has to be figure out and fixed. Pumping with an effective pump can help but should never take the place of a nursing session unless baby is unable to nurse. Galactagogues may help, but no need to drink more than you want/to feel like drinking- drink to thirst. Power drinking water beyond what your body is requesting does not increase milk production.

More info: Diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

What is normal in the early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Low milk supply: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/
    waking sleeping baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

Try nursing baby when asleep if constatnly waking baby to nurse is not working. See this for positions that facilitate this: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 24th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

We finally made it back to birth weight plus 3 ounces!!
    Her weight che ks have all been on the same scale, naked with a dry diaper.
    I was so excited yesterday when her pediatrician said I didn't have to bring her back until her 2mos. Well check! We worked so hard! I kept her on the breast with as little supplementing as possible. I let her use my breasts to pacify her instead of a pacifier, which helped my supply!! It will be alot of work but I will keep doing what im doing as well as ad in more pumping sessions as I can, currently only 1-2a a day, but now I need to pump to try and build a stash for when I go back to work in 2 weeks :-(I its gonna be so hard leaving her, I wish I could be a SAHM. And Thankyou for tour advice and the links, they were very helpful!

Well, some people do weigh before and after every feeding, if you can find someone to loan you a very sensitive baby scale. I borrowed one for several months from my IBCLC and weighed before and after every feeding, logged them all but it's true most people don't have access to a scale they can keep 24/7. You've done a lot of hard work and I'm glad you've seen some good results. When you go back to work, I really encourage you to nurse as much as you can when you're together, so really encourage it at night if you're working normal hours. We started co-sleeping to encourage nursing and it really did help her nurse more at night (which I know not everyone wants to encourage, but I had low supply and we had a ton of other problems and anything we could do was helpful).
    You might consider trying to eat plenty of brown rice, oatmeal, barley, green leafy vegetables and see if any of them help your supply. I really found brown rice helped mine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.