Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase and milk appearance

Default Lipase and milk appearance

When I went back to work about a month ago, my husband (who stays home with our baby) discovered the my milk was not staying fresh for long. He describes it as "rancid" and the baby refuses to drink it. I did the "how long does it last" test and it was about 24 hours. So, I tried scalding it (I am only working very part time, so need the milk to last about a week) and then freezing it and also refrigerating it. After trying this, I have several questions:

1. Most of what I read about lipase describes the milk as "soapy." I've smelled and tasted it, too, and "rancid" is the only word I'd use. It smells and tastes like vomit. Could this be in indication that it is something else?

2. If the milk has not been scalded, it starts to separate. The stuff on the bottom looks grey and watery with the fat at the top. If you shake it, it remixes ok. I know some seperation is normal, but is this what your milk looks like if you don't scald it (and have the lipase problem)?

3. With reference to number 2 above, in the first few months, while I didn't express much, my milk did NOT look like this when it seperated. The milk on the bottom was much more white, milky looking with fat on the top. It also lasted longer. Any ideas why it might have changed?

4. When I scald the milk and then freeze it, it tastes and smells fine but it looks really odd . The fat kind of sticks to the side of the bottle and can't be remixed. It almost looks like we added rice cereal and the flakes are stuck to the side (but, of course, it's just milk). Is this normal?

To scald, I am heating the milk on the stovetop, in a clean glass or metal saucepan until it bubbles around the edges. I then put the pan in a pan of cold water to cool it quickly-ish and then freeze it once it is cool (in plastic storage bags inside another container). Our freezer has drawers, rather than a whole open freezer and nothing besides milk is stored in that drawer.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Default Re: Lipase and milk appearance

In regards to #2/3, all I can say is that I've noticed a similar phenomenon. I do seem to have some lipase issues but fortunately kiddo doesn't seem to mind, so I don't bother scalding (it tastes soapy to me, anyway). Either way, as time has gone on I've noticed that when things separate in storage, the bottom part looks much less opaque, and even greenish sometimes. Baby doesn't mind so I don't worry about it too much. Also, the composition of the milk does change over time in response to changing needs on baby's part - what you might be seeing is an increase in fat content, or a change in the concentration of sugars in the milk, or something like that. I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry too much

As for 4, that might be because heating the milk causes some liquid to evaporate out a little but, leading the fattier cream a little less liquid-y. I'm conjecturing but thinking that has something to do with it. Or heating breaks down some of the longer sugars in the milk and changes the composition somewhat. That said I have the fat-sticking-to-the-bottle issue and I don't scald

As for 1, dunno, though I'm sure some other people here will have an idea. I usually toss mine if it has a noticeable weird smell, but in your case it's not because it's not fresh or anything.

I would describe mine as rancid or vomit-like, TBH. I could not say it was soapy,.

Everything else is totally normal. I've had all of the same experiences.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mine would start smelling rancid because of lipase after awhile too. I've also experienced everything else you mentioned (with slight variations of course).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Everything else is totally normal. I've had all of the same experiences.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. That is really reassuring!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I would describe mine as rancid or vomit-like, TBH. I could not say it was soapy,.

Everything else is totally normal. I've had all of the same experiences.
    Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring that what I am noticing is "normal."