Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning and mother's hormones

Default weaning and mother's hormones

How is weaning (gradual, baby-led, and especially towards the end) likely to affect my hormones/mood/feelings for my toddler? She's 19 months old and still about half breastfed because of food issues (which we're resolving), if it's an indication I've only gotten my period twice so far!

I guess I'm especially concerned that having less prolactin (?) might be making me less patient with her. Do we get prolactin from other parts of mothering as well? Just from feeling maternal?

Thx for any ideas
    emumma

Default Re: weaning and mother's hormones

It's pretty normal for them to still be mostly on breastmilk at this age. I don't know about the lack of prolactin causing you to have less patience, but a 3 year old is not as cute as an 18 month old. Well, they are certainly still adorable, but they know that there are some things they are not supposed to do, so that can be frustrating. Is there some reason you are worried that you are going to run out of patience?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Prolactin does not equal patience. You can be a patient mother and never nurse. I know several myself.

Instead, just be ready to deal with the terrible 2's, and take care of yourself. A burned out, tired mother has way less patience than a frazzled one, no matter how much breastfeeding is or isn't going on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yeah you can be patient when you're not nursing and every child is different, too. Take care of yourself and have some good stress relievers in place (I run quite a bit and that helps).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yup, burned out and frazzled are how I'm feeling. I just spent 5 hours in the kitchen, for example (food sensitivities, and we don't eat processed food, going on GAPS very soon)...punctuated only briefly by dinner and now I was needing to put bub to sleep but decided I need some time to myself first!

I guess I was worried that might be part of the reason I've been less patient with her, but it does sound like it's more likely that it's my stress levels instead.

So I'll try to put in place some things for taking care of myself...I've found a counsellor, I think my naturopath will help me sort out more food stuff and I'll have more calories soon on GAPS... Running sounds like a great idea! Does running with a toddler in a chunky jogging pram ever work?

Thx guys
    emumma

that sounds like a good plan!

i used to swim a lot - like, 2 hours 3x/week, which is exhausting but lovely - and that's gone away starting wtih my pregnancy exhaustion. since DS is 13 months now, it's been a long time. i kind of had this idea in my head that if i went back to swimming i'd have to go back like i used to. but this summer i realized that even going once a week for 45 mins really helps (and is actually a more "normal" length/intensity workout ) with my overall stress and fitness and sleep. lowering the bar like that for myself is important - if i can fit in a swim today, i'm not committing to three more workouts this week, just the one! and that makes me more likely to just go, and i never regret it.

and, yeah, you can jog with your toddler! keep up a running conversation with her, or set her up with a dvd or book that will last the length of your run.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If you want to run with a toddler, I recommend buying an actual jogging stroller (I don't know what kind your "chunky jogging pram" is, but if it's made for jogging then go for it). I also journal and it helps. I give my daughter a book and she holds it but usually she just hangs out and enjoys the scenery. I typically just get up at 4:30 and run before my husband leaves for work, though and that works especially when it's so hot outside.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Also, maybe you could set the bar a little lower in the kitchen department? We don't eat processed foods in my house and the only time it takes us 5 hours in the kitchen is if we are cooking for the whole week. Just a thought. I am unfamiliar with the gaps diet and why that would allow you to eat more. Perhaps if you are limiting your calories too much (?) then you might also be running out of patience because you are hungry. I know that I am a bear when I have low blood sugar and I try to be prepared with some high protein snacks (boiled eggs, nuts, etc.) in case that starts happening.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I had to wean suddenly because of food issues with my little man. The first couple of weeks were very emotional and I was weepy and irritable, but I also had mastitis and was mourning the loss of breastfeeding. But definitely I think hormonal changes exacerbated it. So I guess what I'm saying is that, yes you may find your emotions run away from you, but it's temporary. And it may not be as bad for you since you are able to do it more gradually and your body will have time to adjust.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous