Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply with pump

Default Low supply with pump

My LO is almost 8 months old. I have exclusively BF since birth. went back to work when he was 10 weeks old and pump every 3 hours for 20 minutes (I work 3 days a week/12hours day) . The problem is that now my supply is drastically dropping
    I have not been a good pumper, taking out 10-12 oz a day @ work, but now I am pumpimg 6-8 oz!!!! I am not sure what else I need to do to increase the supply. This is what I have already done:
    1. Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle since I came back to work
    2. power pump at home (10 on/10 off for an hour)
    3. pump after feeding
    4. oatmeal everyday
    5. increased fluid
    6. latching baby on as much as possible when we are together
    7. changed breast pump tubing and attachments (Ameda) and use the hospital grade pump at work, which I have asked if it has been changed/serviced in the last year, as it is the same one I used 2 years ago with my previous son. (They've assured me it has been serviced).

This is what baby has done lately:
    1. STTN. usually wakes up once or twice for short feedings.
    2. Not wanting to nurse in public/noisy areas. I have to bring him to my room and away from my 2 year old so baby wont get distracted. If we are out and about, he will not nurse at all!!!! I usually run my errands within 3 hours or less. The most I have been out is 5 hours, which baby refused to latch on and my breast were getting uncomfortable.
    3. He just restarted on solids (we tried when he turned 6 months, but not interested at all) yesterday and today, he ate the puree I've made him at home (no artificial food).
    4. gaining wt well and good diaper output
    5. He does not drink more than 10 oz of EBM while I am at work.

At this point I have a stach of EBM in the freezer to supplement my deficit of 2-4 oz, but it wont last me long. I am hoping that once he starts eating more solids, He will be OK with the little milk I will be pumping...Not sure what else to do...

As a last note...Both baby and I where sick with the flu a couple of weeks ago...he was not eating much, I was pumping at home to maintain my supply...the drop has started since last Thursday.

Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Default Re: Low supply with pump

A lot of women see a drop at 8-9 months. Could AF be returning or could you be pregnant?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

How often are you pumping?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Had no time to reply on time.

I am not pregnant. Had a C/S with Tubal ligation.

I pump 3-4 times in a 12 hour day for 20 minutes.

I've asked the care giver to feed solids first then milk, but baby refuses to eat unless milk is given first. I guess he follows what we do at home. I did tell her to give him 2 ounces instead of the 4 she usually gives, and then feed...still a work in progress.

Just frustrated that everything was working so well, as compared to my previous experience, and now this hump in the road. I count my blessings that it has been good so far and pray that I can last at least another month so that I may supplement with regular cow milk instead of formula.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas