Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poly-vi-sol

Default Poly-vi-sol

My baby spent 3 days in NICU. Upon d/c the neonatologist prescribed poly-vi-sol stating breast fed babies need the supplement. I gave it once: it smells awful, baby choked, seems constipated and may have had an allergic reaction....

Anyone have info or thoughts on the need for the supplement? I don't think I want to use it if this is what baby has to deal with....

Default Re: Poly-vi-sol

That stuff is disgusting. It is unecessary (unless there is perhaps some unusual condition) and I woudn't use it. The only vitamin supplement breastfed babies might need is vitamin D. Adequate sunlight exposure with respect to skin tone produces vitamin D naturally, but if your baby doesn't get much sunlight or you have very dark skin you should consider a supplement. Carlson Labs makes an infant vitamin D supplement that only requires a single drop which you can simple put on your nipple before nursing.

If the neonatologist recommended it for a specific reason, then maybe it is warranted. However if it was recommended as something that all breastfed babies need, then it is not needed.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with the PP. I would add only that if your baby was premature or you are yourself anemic, an iron supplement may be a good idea.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I would add only that if your baby was premature or you are yourself anemic, an iron supplement may be a good idea.
    Good point! I would have iron levels checked if you have reason for concern before giving a supplement though. Iron supplements tend to be constipating, and that can be a real pain. My son is on an iron supplement and although I wouldn't dream of not giving it to him, it does add a layer of complexity when it comes to feeding and elimination concerns.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

If the pediatrician is more concerned with vitamin D and you do want to use something, Tri-Vi-Sol is only A,D, and C and goes down a whole lot better (for whatever reason it is less like horse pill smell and more like melted cherry candy). It's still not always necessary, especially as your baby is a summer baby, but if you're after the Vitamin D it may be a good compromise since it also does not have the iron that may constipate baby.

What makes you think allergic reaction? That part may warrant a call to the ped.

Thanks for all the info. The allergic part is that he seems to be getting hives. He gets one or two at a time, and they go away.... Nothing else. Ive been watching for swollen lips etc. I am not convinced its to the med now, i wonder if it's from something I'm eating/ drinking, like milk. That is probably a whole new thread.