Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reaching the end of my rope :(

Default Re: Reaching the end of my rope :(

I would try skin to skin! maybe just the comfort of it would be encouraging to the baby. I am new to BF as well it didn't go so well with my first so i don't have a lot of advice but I will say (and I know this is VERY VERY hard to do...I hate it when people tell me this) try to relax. remember baby can tell if your stressed and that can inhibit milk let down. I have a tendency to stress over my milk supply, and I tense my shoulders up. I have to remind myself to relax and not worry about my milk just let baby eat. Like I said i know that my be hard advice I really hate when people say "Just stop worrying" if only it were that easy right...maybe play relaxing music, try feeding in a warm bath, dim the lights, do skin to skin. These are all just things that sound relaxing to me. Good luck i hope it works out for you.

Great advice you've gotten so far. I'm also wondering if you have considered cranial sacral therapy for baby: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaugsep01p82.html ?

Swirlywhirly has great advice such as nursing in a warm bath. I'm so sorry that nursing has become so stressful and hope your family find relief soon!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

I had a similar problem from weeks 1-4. My DD would get frantic every time I tried to feed her. Her little body was so active that it seemed she was pushing herself off the breast with her arms or by arching her back. What ended up working for us was feeding her while she was swaddled. This contradicts the widely given advice that skin-to-skin will encourage nursing, but it just didn't work for us. I tried to do lots of skin-to-skin time when NOT nursing so that we'd still get those wonderful bonding benefits. And after about 5 days of nursing her while she was swaddled, it stopped being necessary. My (totally non-expert) feeling is that it allowed her the calm she needed to learn how to nurse.

Good luck! We are still learning but it is getting consistently better (now at 7 weeks).