Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing with whole milk at 10+ months?

Default Re: Supplementing with whole milk at 10+ months?

When you say that whole milk is bad, etc, how do you square this with other countries saying use of cow's milk is an acceptable addition to a child's diet before one? Because most nations do say cow's milk in moderation is OK. The US is the one that says 12 months....and I dunno about you, but I don't really trust AAP on a lot of things.

Personally, if a mom wants to give 4 oz of cow's milk to a child who is otherwise eating solids and nursing on demand as well and this takes a little pressure off her and helps her pump to at least one, I think it perfectly acceptable. I did it in this exact way. And it allowed me to EP for 18 months so far.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

In addition to, yes, but a lot of women here in NA are told to "switch" and they need to know that whole milk is not a replacement to breastmilk (or formula). If it's being used instead of breastmilk than women need to know that it's not adequate. It should be looked at as a solid, not a nutritional replacement, ya know? It should be compared to an apple and not to breastmilk - in the sense that if its given to baby (and if baby can tolerate it, as a lot of babies can't and it causes digestion issues) it's in addition to the minimum breastmilk/formula intake. The OP said that she would be producing less than her baby will need, so I took that to mean the cows milk would be instead of breastmilk - in which case I would be inclined to replace with formula as that has more nutrients than cows milk and is easier on their tummies.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

She used the word supplement, and I took it as meaning exactly that. To add in, in addition to what she normally pumps plus whatever baby is getting as far as foods. I never got the impression she planned to switch.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    At our 9 months visit our pediatrician told us that it's OK to supplement with whole cow's milk at 10+ months (supplement meaning a few ounces a day).

My daughter is 9.5 months old and I've been pumping since I've been back to work and usually I produce enough for her, but I'd like to pump-wean when she turns one in October (I cannot wait for the glorious moment when I'm free from the pump!), so I'm hoping to gradually reduce the number of pumping sessions, which may result in me producing a bit less than she needs.

What do you think about this? Official AAP recommendation for whole cow's milk is 1+ year old. In Australia they say it's OK from 6 months on.

Thanks!
    I was referring to the bolded. She has no idea how her supply will hold up once she starts to pump wean, but the wording suggests that the milk will be to compensate for the (possible) lack of breastmilk.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

pump-wean when she turns one in October!
    But she also uses the word when, which did not imply that to me.

Semantics.

And again, it does not imply she plans to switch. It implied TO ME that she might want to give some milk to make up any little differce if one appears. If the child is eating solids well, and say, has a good lunch at daycare, what difference does it mean long term to give a little cup of milk with that lunch? None, especially if baby is fed on demand on weekends and when mom is home after work. A baby fed on demand will get more than enough mama milk to make up any difference.

And again, how do you square the recommendation of other nations with the US? Is the entire world wrong?
    Susan

Ladies, first of all thank you so much for chiming in with your opinions.

I also wanted to clarify some of the questions raised in this thread. At this point I pump 4x over a ~9 hours that I'm gone from home. I breastfeed on demand whenever we are together and we co-sleep (btw, AAP doesn't approve of cosleeping, and yet here I am doing it and loving it). DD nurses frequently at night, with maybe one 4 hour uninterrupted sleep stretch (otherwise she wakes up to nurse every 1-2 hours).

I have no plans to completely switch her to cow's milk or to wean her, but I would like to go down to pumping 3x at work in about a week (she'll be one week shy of 10 months then) and eventually and gradually I would like to decrease pumping to once a day. I would like to stop pumping soon after her 1st birthday entirely.

The reason I opened this thread is that in Australia it's commonly practiced to supplement with cow's milk after 6 months old, my pediatrician has recommended it after 10 months, and kellymom says that it's a controversial subject (and I'm having troubles deciding how I feel about it myself).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I was referring to the bolded. She has no idea how her supply will hold up once she starts to pump wean, but the wording suggests that the milk will be to compensate for the (possible) lack of breastmilk.
    Since DD doesn't sleep through the night, enthusiastically taking to solids, and I'm planning to pump-wean very gradually, we are talking about a few ounces at most at this point. In any case I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to pump after she turns one. I applaud women who do, but I need an end date for pumping and I need it to be sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by @llli*luckypixie; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:45 PM.

I think a lot of the benefits versus drawbacks of cow's milk are highly dependent on the child, and various agencies are trying to get at what is best for the "average" child, which is why recommendations differ so much. I think the AAP is just being conservative, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My son has iron deficiency anemia, so I really don't think cow's milk is particularly good for him even now as it tends to irritate the intestinal lining and inhibit iron absorption until 2 years (granted a couple ounces probably won't make much of a difference anyway, but a significant amount every day could potentially be very problematic). Most kids don't have this problem, so it's not a huge concern. So some mamas introduce cow's milk before a year, some introduce it at a year, some wait until 2 years, and some never give it at all. I don't see a clear right or wrong in any of this as long as you know your child and are making an informed decision. I think we all make our own judgement calls, knowing what we know.

I pumped for 18 months at work because I'm apprehensive about cow's milk. However I work part time so pumping isn't such a major drag, and I have unique reasons to delay cow's milk as I mentioned. I might not have pumped so long had that not been the case.

The recommendation I've seen is to start pump weaning at a year, as Jenna mentioned. I imagine that recommendation, like the cow's milk recommendation, is simply an attempt to find an "average" best time to pump wean while safely maintaining a milk supply. My guess is that some women can pump wean earlier, some might have troubles even at a year.

If you take it nice and slow - dropping a session and waiting a reasonable amount of time to assess the results, I don't think there is too much harm in seeing how it goes. You just want time to gauge how your milk supply will respond and how well your baby does with cow's milk. It sounds like that is what you plan to do (and that you've pretty much made up your mind anyway); so if you are comfortable with the potential issues associated with early cow's milk introduction and whether or not they even apply in your situation, then go for it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

@llli*phi, thank you so much for the detailed response. I have to say my mind is made up with going down to pumping 3x times a day at work, I just cannot sustain x4 anymore. I haven't made any decisions about when/how I'll go from x3 to x2, I guess I'll go till I cannot take it anymore (which is how it is with pumping x4 a day).

Thanks again for laying out pros/cons and your decision-making process, it's very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    When you say that whole milk is bad, etc, how do you square this with other countries saying use of cow's milk is an acceptable addition to a child's diet before one? Because most nations do say cow's milk in moderation is OK. The US is the one that says 12 months....and I dunno about you, but I don't really trust AAP on a lot of things.
    I square as other countries being ready to roll the dice sooner based on less issues with milk and reaction to it. You rolled the dice. You know that. It's about them not being ready for it digestively. Are some babies going to be ready before a year? Yeah. Do you who? No you don't. So we err on the side of cautious. Because we don't know and it's not something we can control. I am umcomfortable with you suggesting that it probably is OK when it was ok for YOU when your situation is so different from everyone elses and even still, you took a calculated risk 4 kids in.

She used the word supplement, and I took it as meaning exactly that. To add in, in addition to what she normally pumps plus whatever baby is getting as far as foods. I never got the impression she planned to switch.
    But if she is going to supplement her childs breastmilk with anything before the yeart point it should be formula. You wouldn't suggest supplementing solids for breastmilk would you? So cow's milk INSTEAD OF breastmik or formula isn't OK. AS WELL AS....even that makes me uncomfortable before the year point.
    But she also uses the word when, which did not imply that to me.

Semantics.
    And again, how do you square the recommendation of other nations with the US? Is the entire world wrong?
    I don't think we are arguing semanticsSusan. I think the rest of the world is being less cautious than we are. Perhaps they are having less epedemic issues that are dairy related. But there has been enough concern over it HERE in our country to err on the side of cautious. Just like we do with honey. Is every baby that eat honey before a year going to get botchulism if their mothers roll the dice? No. Is that a reason not to wait? Not for me it wasn't. I erred on the side of cautious with all things food related in terms of food. Better safe than sorry.

Ladies, first of all thank you so much for chiming in with your opinions.

I also wanted to clarify some of the questions raised in this thread. At this point I pump 4x over a ~9 hours that I'm gone from home. I breastfeed on demand whenever we are together and we co-sleep (btw, AAP doesn't approve of cosleeping, and yet here I am doing it and loving it). DD nurses frequently at night, with maybe one 4 hour uninterrupted sleep stretch (otherwise she wake up to nurse every 1-2 hours).

I have no plans to completely switch her to cow's milk or to wean her, but I would like to go down to pumping 3x at work in about a week (she'll be one week shy of 10 months then) and eventually and gradually I would like to decrease pumping to once a day. I would like to stop pumping soon after her 1st birthday entirely.

The reason I opened this thread is that in Australia it's commonly practiced to supplement with cow's milk after 6 months old, my pediatrician has recommended it after 10 months, and kellymom says that it's a controversial subject (and I'm having troubles deciding how I feel about it myself).

Since DD doesn't sleep through the night, enthusiastically taking to solids, and I'm planning to pump-wean very gradually, we are talking about a few ounces at most at this point. In any case I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to pump after she turns one. I applaud women who do, but I need an end date for pumping and I need it to be sooner rather than later.
    I still think you are missing Jenna's point. No one here doesn't understand wanting an end game for the pump. And what she is saying is even if you aren't worried about the tummy issues that your baby could get by not actually being ready to digest cow's milk at this point, even if that doesn't concerning, cutting out pumping session this early COULD VERY WELL affect your ablity to breastfeed period. So THAT needs to be considered. Whereas if you just wait until the year point your supply will be stable enough that you will be able to pump wean completely AT a year and not have it affect anything. Weaning from a pump is not like weaning for a child. And your plans to do it gradually over the course of the next two months COULD in fact DAMAGE your supply. Because you are talking about giving up signals to make milk. Whereas once you get to the year point you are talking about dropping one session a week. So if you are willing to roll the dice with her digestion AND your supply than by all means have at it. But IMO it's a terrible idea. Right now or next month you will likely hit a wall. Most pumpers do between 9&10 months. And nothing they do to increase supply helps. Dropping a session when all that is going on seems like the worst idea possible in terms of supply. I would keep doing what you are doing and if you don't hit a wall at 11 months start doing what you are talking about doing.

Way too lazy for formula

At our 9 months visit our pediatrician told us that it's OK to supplement with whole cow's milk at 10+ months (supplement meaning a few ounces a day).

My daughter is 9.5 months old and I've been pumping since I've been back to work and usually I produce enough for her, but I'd like to pump-wean when she turns one in October (I cannot wait for the glorious moment when I'm free from the pump!), so I'm hoping to gradually reduce the number of pumping sessions, which may result in me producing a bit less than she needs.

What do you think about this? Official AAP recommendation for whole cow's milk is 1+ year old. In Australia they say it's OK from 6 months on.

Thanks!
    i waited until after the year mark to introduce cows milk. i erred on the side of caution. i felt unsure about it and felt like i would rather keep giving him bm at dc.

i know pumping is a pain, but you have come so far and are so close. i would just keep going and ease off close to the 12 month mark.

i will say i was able to pump wean MUCH faster than i anticipated. i know everyone is different, but i thought i would be really engorged and i wasnt. it was a pretty easy transition. i mention that because if you are trying to ease into it i personally did not find that necessary. i didnt just stop, but it was easier than i thought.