Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing with whole milk at 10+ months?

Default Supplementing with whole milk at 10+ months?

At our 9 months visit our pediatrician told us that it's OK to supplement with whole cow's milk at 10+ months (supplement meaning a few ounces a day).

My daughter is 9.5 months old and I've been pumping since I've been back to work and usually I produce enough for her, but I'd like to pump-wean when she turns one in October (I cannot wait for the glorious moment when I'm free from the pump!), so I'm hoping to gradually reduce the number of pumping sessions, which may result in me producing a bit less than she needs.

What do you think about this? Official AAP recommendation for whole cow's milk is 1+ year old. In Australia they say it's OK from 6 months on.

Thanks!

Default Re: Supplementing with whole milk at 10+ months?

Isn't it weird how different the recommendations are from country to country? I personally like the AAP's wait till one year recommendation for cow's milk, for 2 reasons: first, cow's milk can apparently irritate a baby's intestinal lining and cause anemia, and second, cow's milk does not have the ideal balance of fat, protein, and sugar that breastmilk does. Do a side-by-side taste test and your own tongue will tell you what very different substances the two are. Babies grow so fast during their first year, and I think it makes sense to optimize their nutrition for that entire time. Think about how much brain growth, immune development, and digestive system development takes place during the first year... Why fuel that with cow's milk, if you don't have to?

I know it's not me sitting in your shoes, pumping away at work, but if it were me I would continue to pump at work, supplement with formula if necessary, and look forward to pump-weaning at a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did. And it was fine. But at one, yes, you can pump wean, she can have water and whole milk at daycare and you guys nurse as long as you both want.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I did start at 11 months but regarding pump weaning; i had to supplement a tad because my production tanked, even with adding a session, 12 months is when you should START pump weaning, not when the weaning should be finished.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you, ladies! Right now I actually have quite a sizable freezer stash, so blackout gods willing, I might just get away supplementing with either cow's milk or formula until she is 1 year old, if I have to.

Speaking of which, would that also mean that I would have to supplement on weekends then?

Jenna, I'm not sure there are actual "shoulds" in breastfeeding; I feel like it all dependent on personal goals. I would like to be done with the pump when DD turns one, as I'm very tired of pumping and I feel that it creates a lot of stress in my life.
    Ugh, now I feel like I'm trying to defend a poor mothering choice. Believe me, I have enough mommy guilt to fill up this entire forum, but that doesn't mean I should be driving myself nuts trying to be an ideal mom.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    Thank you, ladies! Right now I actually have quite a sizable freezer stash, so blackout gods willing, I might just get away supplementing with either cow's milk or formula until she is 1 year old, if I have to.

Speaking of which, would that also mean that I would have to supplement on weekends then?

Jenna, I'm not sure there are actual "shoulds" in breastfeeding; I feel like it all dependent on personal goals. I would like to be done with the pump when DD turns one, as I'm very tired of pumping and I feel that it creates a lot of stress in my life.
    Ugh, now I feel like I'm trying to defend a poor mothering choice. Believe me, I have enough mommy guilt to fill up this entire forum, but that doesn't mean I should be driving myself nuts trying to be an ideal mom.
    oh ok sorry about that disregard what I said and carry on
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I agree about the personal goals lucky, not everyone has the same goals in breastfeeding. For some moms it's breastfeeding a year, others it's breastfeeding until they wean themselves. I do know from a nutrition standpoint that cows milk does not meet the nutritional needs of a 10 month old. The AAP suggest not to feed cows milk until they are one. This was because they do not have the proper enzymes to break down the cows milk. I know you will hear of some mothers feeding their babies cows milk before one and they turned out fine, but that doesn't mean it is safe and ok to do. Just my humble opinion. BTW I decided not to give my son cows milk after a year. I went to coconut milk and he loved the taste and it still gave him the vitamin D he needed.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post

There are most definitely "shoulds" in breastfeeding - most, if followed, are directly beneficial for baby

Should nurse on demand...
    Should nurse for at least a year...

They aren't "have to's" of course, but they are more beneficial for the baby. Tons of recommendations out there like that. Choosing not to do something doesn't mean there aren't things you should do, ya know?

ETA: as for whole milk at 10 months, you may find that it's hard to digest. Some babies tolerate it better than others. Also, it lacks nutrients that are found in breastmilk, so if you're determined to switch before a year I would suggest formula instead of cow's milk
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I think what Jenna was getting at, among other things, is that after a year your supply is well-established and going all day without pumping is not going to hurt your overall supply. The milk will be there when you need it. Prior to that, not pumping during the day could have a detrimental effect on your supply even when you are with your baby. It's not guaranteed that it will, but it could. That's one reason the recommendation is that you should continue to pump until a year. Of course it's each mom's decision when to stop, Jenna was just citing the general rule.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

yes exactly Jenn and Paige and littleturtlelove

My "should" comment was made to best provide enough nutrition to your LO for the entire first year while maintaining your supply (ability to supply nutrition) and then accomplish the "goal" of pump weaning. I just say it to you after years of seeing moms think that they can whittle feeding down to zero on the 1st birthday when the recommendation is that baby still needs to nurse or be given pumped milk or formula through the first year and then you can look to wean without as much worry.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language