Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hyperthyroidism

Default Hyperthyroidism

DS is 5 months old. I haven't been feeling 100% for a few weeks now and blood tests have just revealed low TSH levels. Is this something to be concerned about? I haven't noticed any issue with my supply but DS has been changing his eating patterns a lot recently, which could also be linked to my starting back at work.

My doctor said not to be too worried and to get repeat blood tests in 2-3 months. He said it is quite common after pregnancy. I don't really trust this doctor though (not my own GP, but a doc in the medical center where I work). I'm worried that in 2-3 months things might have worsened drastically. I've been getting dizzy spells and actually have set up a system with DH whereby I message him when I am alone with DS just in case I faint! Should I go back to my gynaecologist for advice, or maybe the pediatrician? Who would know best about this?

Default Re: Hyperthyroidism

This is a a matter for your GP, not the gynaecologist or pediatrician. If need be, the GP should refer you to an endocrinologist.

Low TSH is something to be concerned about. Your doc was correct that thyroid problems are very common in postpartum women, and his suggestion to get a repeat blood test in 2-3 months is good advice. However, since you are having symptoms I would suggest going in at 2 months, and asking for some more extensive bloodwork right now. You want to have not only TSH tested, but also T3 and T4.

What was your TSH level? I've read that normal is either 0.5-5.0 or 0.3-3.0 (in whatever units are typically used in the US), but that numbers at the ends of the scale can produce clinical symptoms even if they're not officially "off".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

oh, podutti! you are so smart for planning in advance a system of letting your DH know you need him just in case.
    trust your inner voice. if you feel the urge to get a second opinion do it.
    you might be able to get really good info from your ob/gyn.
    i love my ob/gyn however, so maybe I am projecting.

I wrote this before seeing Mommal post, i did not mean to contradict her.
    She is more knowledgeable about this condition.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

My TSH level was 0.11. On the documentation he gave me healthy levels (in units of uUI/mL) are 0.55-4.78. So mine are quite low. The T3 and T4 were within normal range T3=3.55 and T4=1.47. The last time I had levels measured was 2 months into my pregnancy when TSH was 1.48. So it's a big drop.
    I have been feeling so weak lately that I did a pregnancy test. I was slightly worried that I might be pregnant since DS sleeps through the night now and my periods haven't come back. The test was negative. I'm moving country in 4 weeks so I was worried if I should get this checked further or wait until I move. Can anything bad happen in 4 weeks??

I might give my gyn a call because she is quite friendly, and more importantly for me, speaks english! I just want some reassurance.

Something bad can always happen in 4 weeks. I think the question is, is something bad likely to happen in 4 weeks? Probably not. But there's always a chance. If you googlie the causes of hyperthyroidism, there are some kind of scary options on the menu, like cancer (sorry, I don't want to scare you!). And if you google the potential bad outcomes, there are some scary possibilities there, too. Therefore, I think it makes sense to call your gyn for her perspective, and also try to get an appointment with an endocrinologist for a second opinion before you move. The sooner you gather the data you need, the sooner you can figure out how or whether to treat this.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"