Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what a train wreck!!

Default what a train wreck!!

Well, I heard back from the doctor on my 3 week old and his constant crying. She told me to try and supplement for 2 days and then she made me an appointment to come to the office. So I have been trying her suggestion...all I can do is cry when I think about him eating from a bottle. So now he still cries and my breast are engorged. So now I am really really confused on top of being tired and struggling with depression and dealing with his crying is getting the best of me. This morning after him crying for 2 hours I had to put him down and let him cry it out before I lost my mind. No one tells you what a crying baby will do to your mind. So we are heading to the doctor tomorrow morning, I hope that everything goes well...Thank you all for your replies. These BF days are so difficult, it is good to know there are other mothers out there having the same problems as me. Thanks, new mom

Default Re: what a train wreck!!

Totally understand the crying thing. Yesterday I got stuck in traffic with little-darling wailing in backseat. I thought I would have a nervious breakdown...
    I believe that mothers are hardwired to respond the way we do to crying. The species would have faded out eons ago if we weren't bothered by it. We tense up, our hands turn into waspish claws and we flinch. Of course I get to the point where I roll my eyes in frusteration and wish there was a mute button; but only becuase it is so unbearable in my heart.
    I think your feelings are normal, I know I share them... plus the lack of sleep, and the stress on your body from being engorged.. Be kind yo yourself, you are only doing the best you can mama!

As mother has always said... I understand why animals in the wild eat their young.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by new mom View Post
    Well, I heard back from the doctor on my 3 week old and his constant crying. She told me to try and supplement for 2 days and then she made me an appointment to come to the office.
    Did she tell you why she thought supplementing might help? Did she ask about your baby's output?

So I have been trying her suggestion...all I can do is cry when I think about him eating from a bottle.

So now he still cries and my breast are engorged.
    Ouch! How would you feel about just letting him nurse? Remember that breastfeeding is SO much more than just nutrition, it's also comfort.

Here is some information on engorgement:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

So now I am really really confused on top of being tired and struggling with depression and dealing with his crying is getting the best of me.
    Awww. Do you have help? Is anyone around to support you and give you a break?

This morning after him crying for 2 hours I had to put him down and let him cry it out before I lost my mind. No one tells you what a crying baby will do to your mind.
    That was the best thing you could have done. When you feel frustration set in, it's a good idea to just give yourself a break. Take some deep breaths, count to ten, whatever you need to do to regain your composure.

What things have you tried for the crying? What do you usually try first? And if that's not working?

Here are some useful resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/pantley/pantley22.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

So we are heading to the doctor tomorrow morning, I hope that everything goes well
    I do, too! Please give post back with an update and let us know how things went!!

Any chance that the constant crying could be a sign of an allergy? A friend of mine bf-ed her lo and had the same difficulties. She found out that her lo was allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs! Needless to say, most commercial formulas wouldn't work in these cases, either! She stuck it out and cut out all three items (NOT easy), and her lo grew out of her allergy.

Keep in touch with a lactation consultant--maybe they might be a little more bf friendly and work with you to keep you bf.

Good luck!

Lisa

When she told you she wanted you to supplement, was that in addition to BFing or instead of it? Either BFing (preferably) or pumping to relieve your engorgment and keep up your supply will help you feel better.

Crying babies are so hard on moms. Hopefully you can find someone to help you out a bit.