Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sugar

Default Sugar

Somebody mentioned that a tip for getting your breastfed baby (under 6 months) to take a bottle is to put a tiny bit of sugar on the tit of the bottle and I was wondering if this is a safe practice to do and if not why....

Default Re: Sugar

It's not a good idea because you shouldn't give sugar to an infant under 6months old period. And You also don't want to be in a position to always have to do it. What are you trying to do exactly?

Way too lazy for formula

It's not about my baby. It was suggested by someone I know, and I'm trying to find any info against it... I'm sure that even the tiniest amount is not advisable...no?

Oh. OK. Gimme a Sec.

Way too lazy for formula

Under 6 months, it's supposed to be breastmilk only. I don't suppose a tiny taste of sugar is such an awful thing, but it's certainly something I'd do only if I absolutely NEEDED my baby to take a bottle. Not wanted. There's enough sugar in the average diet already. Why introduce it to the developing palate when baby is still so small?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

To play devil's advocate, breastmilk itself is loaded with different kinds of sugars. Not of the same makeup as table sugar (breastmilk has mostly lactose, but also several different oligosaccharides), but sugars nonetheless. With that in mind (and also just based on the taste of breastmilk), I can't imagine a very small amount of sugar on a bottle nipple would disrupt the baby's sense of taste that much, or be enough to cause any kinds of problems. And of course, there's also the practice of giving newborns glucose water, which would give them more sugar than a few grains on a nipple, and is something done in hospitals all over the country (I don't think that makes it right or good, but fact is lots and lots of infants are perfectly fine having had it)

Personally, I think refined sugars are really bad for people in general, and wouldn't do it, but I think as a tactic to get a reluctant baby to try a nipple, provided it wasn't done every single time (once the baby "gets it" I doubt it would be needed anymore), I can't see how it would specifically be harmful. But I'm also thinking that just the taste of the milk if a few drops come out of the nipple could accomplish the same goal.