Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Fenurgreek/Increasing supply

Exclamation Taking Fenurgreek/Increasing supply

Due to many trips to the ER and eventually having surgery, I believe my supply has been hindered. I have read posts and books that say you should multiply the baby’s weight by 2.5 and get the amount of ounces that baby should be taking in 24 hours.

So anyways if I do the math, I get that my dd (3 months old) should be getting 4 ounces every 3 hours. When I pump, I barely get 3 ounces…

We don’t have any certified LC’s around my area, however our local WIC office has a “Breastfeeding peer counselor.” She gave me some websites to look at and told me of “Fenurgreek” So I looked it up online to see the side effects etc… webMD said that it isn’t safe for breastfeeding… I’m assuming like all the nurses/medical staff that I ran into with my surgery, they just don’t know anything.

So, I was wondering if anyone has taken it, and if it helped? Any other suggestions on how to increase my supply? I have pumped after feedings, and pump on an “every 2-3 hr” schedule while I am at work (which is only 3 days a week).

I feed on demand, even on my lunch breaks….. I’m just getting discouraged and I want to be able to BF her and make sure she gets enough.

Default Re: Taking Fenurgreek/Increasing supply

Lots of people take fenugreek for increasing supply - I take it quite a bit myself. I'm under the impression it is safe for baby!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    Lots of people take fenugreek for increasing supply - I take it quite a bit myself. I'm under the impression it is safe for baby!
    Did you see results after taking the fenugreek?

I have been taking Fenugreek since my now 13 week old son was about 2 weeks old. It does seem to help, only catch is you begin to smell like maple syrup! lol I take 3 pills 3x's a day. It is really important to stay hydrated, so I take them with 3, 8oz glasses a water each time. I also have started the Mother's Milk tea, 5 glasses a day, which tastes awful, but also seems to be helping. I also have used Mothers Love-More Milk Plus, which helped a lot, but it is about 50 dollars for a months supply, so I had to discontinue it. It really worked well in boosting my supply and now I use the Fenugreek and tea to help maintain it.
    Far as it being safe, both my OBGYN and my sons pediatrician suggested it so I trust its safe, and my son has had no issues.
    I understand being discouraged-I have struggled non-stop since the beginning! Keep trying- I feel its worth the frustration!
    Last edited by @llli*mommyyslas; July 16th, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: type-o

I want to go back to how you are coming up with what you need to pump and how much you are getting out.

My understanding is that your baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz for every hour your away. If your directly nursing the other 4 days a week and wets and poops are good then I would tend to believe that your making enough for direct nursing. Pumping is much less efficient and isn't a good measure of what your making. I recently experience a significant, drastic decrease in supply *while pumping* DS was still getting plenty directly nursing. I knew this from his behavior and diaper output. So if you use this new 1 to 1.5 oz per hour away rule are you now making enough for you baby (I'm a little confused on how much your getting out)? I only get three oz per pump session these days (I use to get 8 or more)

I'm thinking your expecting to make more than your really need, HOWEVER, if this is not the case and you need to boost supply... Yes I have used Fenugreek off and on and had good results with less than the max amount recommended. Once when I just thought I needed it due to nursing marathons, and here recently when that drop happened out of nowhere. Once my supply came up I slowly decreased the amount of fenugreek and my supply stayed up.
    Last edited by @llli*mer.mer; July 16th, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mer.mer View Post
    I want to go back to how you are coming up with what you need to pump and how much you are getting out.
    If i use the 1 - 1.5 oz for every hour I'm away, it equals between 7-11. I pump before I leave for work,which is usually less than an hour after I'm done feeding. I will get about an ounce to 2 ounces. Then I will pump again, 2 or 2.5 hrs later, and get 2 ounces. Then, when I pump again about 2.5 hrs later, I will get a little under 3 ounces. So, if you add that up it is 7 ounces.

The reason I suspect that she is not getting enough is because of her behavior. She latches on well for the first little while and does very well. She has an active suck, she is content, and then it seems like all of a sudden, she isn't getting anything and is super crabby. I can switch other side and she does the same thing....she latches well, stay on for a while then just gets super cranky and keeps un latching. I pump afterwards just to see if she is really not getting anything, or if something else is wrong. When I pump after a feeding, I get about 1-1.5 ounces, depending on how long she stays on.

I didn't have this problem until after my surgery/hospital visits where I was misinformed and told that I had to "pump and dump" but after reading "medications and mother's milk" I found out differently. Needless to say, after my last hospital visit, I continued to breastfeed once I returned home.

As far as wet and poops go, wets are fine. Poops, sometimes she goes a day or 2 without pooping. I've read conflicting information on this. Some people say "breastfed babies can go 7 days before pooping without concern" Others say, 3 days.

I guess if all else fails, I will take the fenurgreek and if I start making too much, I'll just keep on storing it for later :-)

It sounds like you are pumping enough for her while your gone. So it looks as if we are good on that front. If you want to get a bit more for insurance you could try pumping a few minutes longer or add in a session by pumping more frequently. But you don't want to induce oversupply.

What really sounds like the problem is that she isn't appearing happy by directly nursing. At this point some more sage advice would be welcomed. It sounds like she is getting enough by her output. (I have read on these forums 14 days after 3 mo for time between poops) You may have one of those miracle babies who suddenly can get whole feedings in 5 to 10 minutes. I know when DS finally does get done if he doesn't fall asleep at the breast he gets fussy. How long exactly is she staying latched for? Have you tried other positions? My DS gets tired of the same positions and we will move around and try some others till he is happy. Some other thoughts is that she is prime time for a growth spurt, the start of teething both of which can be fussy times in general. It really sounds like things are going well. But I'm not good at direct nursing issues. The pumping I can help with. Another reason I'm thinking either her nursing has changed and it has just happened in conjunction with the hospital stay or there is something else besides a supply issue is that she was nursing fine before, was bottle fed i assume for a long while, and only now is unhappy at breast. Maybe nipple preference starting to set in I hope someone with more knowledge about direct nursing issues chimes in.

Also be wary of using pumping to determine if she is getting enough milk. Lets just say you can store up to 5 oz in a breast she eats for 5 mins and you pump 2 oz. If every last drop was gone (which is never the case) then she got 3 oz. That is a good feed but if you're only looking at the 2 oz you got your only seeing what she didn't take in. That doesn't mean she did get what she needed. It just can lead to a lot of second guessing a good thing. So be careful with that not to mention causing OS.

I know your frustrated but I think you came to the right place. Hope I was a little helpful. I'll keep checking in.
    Last edited by @llli*mer.mer; July 16th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

My DD is close to 3.5 MO, she too acts fussy after some feedings and wants to suck on my pinky or a pacifier, till she falls asleep. This does not happen after every feeding, just occassionally. there are times when she nurses to sleep, but sometimes she just wont comfort-suck on me (even when my breasts feel empty).

I could be wrong, but maybe your DD is acting fussy for a different reason than being hungry... just a thought ..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anna.noahs.mom View Post
    Did you see results after taking the fenugreek?
    Yes, I feel like it gives my supply a little boost.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I used to take fenugreek a lot to boost supply until my boy was about 7 months old, and it did not harm him or me. I think it did help me in production but as someone further up said if you take it in the amounts required to help you begin to smell of it.
    As far as I understand the health concern issue with fenugreek is not the fenugreek itself but its source and purity.
    In Europe (where I live) it is mostly fenugreek from Egypt, in powder form, which can be bought as a spice in organic food stores, but recently it has been found that samples were contaminated with EHEC bacteria during production, And EHEC is a deadly threath to babies (and adults). So I would be most careful where to buy and what source. I did not take capsules as they were not sold where I live but used to add it to all my food - it is a very tasty spice.