Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extended Nursing

Default Re: Extended Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Another benefit of continuing to nurse is that it helps through the tantrum years. Especially when they get do worked up and don't have the words to convey how they are feeling, or just too wound up. Nursing has worked better than any other tool in the tantrum arsenal. And as they grow and mature, it evolves and over time and nursing through a tantrum is replaced with other things.

I remember one tantrum that occurred well after my son had weaned, and I overheard my husband asking him, over the shrieks and crying, "Do you want to nurse? Huh? Want to nurse?" I had to break it to the poor guy (DH, I mean) that it wasn't that easy anymore.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post

I remember one tantrum that occurred well after my son had weaned, and I overheard my husband asking him, over the shrieks and crying, "Do you want to nurse? Huh? Want to nurse?" I had to break it to the poor guy (DH, I mean) that it wasn't that easy anymore.
    My 6 year old just had a meltdown in a toy store and I thought oh how I wish we still nursed!

This is a nice toddler nursing article as well: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

And the research by Kathy Dettwyler on normal breastfeeing duration is very interesting. http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    that you and you alone make the absolute most beneficial substance in existence and it's made specifically for your child, that day, that moment of his/her life.
    This. Absolutely and utterly this.

I think that this is a really good point too:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Not to mention the antibody level dramtaically increases after the year point because you are natually going to be nursing less and this is when most gets begin to have a ton of outside contact with other children. Mose exposure to colds and when the colostrum wears off.
    Once your child is off and running, he will be swapping germs with kids at the park, grabbing who knows what off the ground, and all kinds of other yucky stuff while he's tearing it up around town. Nursing has always made me feel better about the generally gross behaviors of little people.

Also, when my boy first started running there were so many nasty spills (the face plants were the worst ) and no matter how large and purple the lump on his head got, nursing always stopped the tears immediately. It's truly amazing how nursing can fix just about anything!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).