Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cup feeding

Default Cup feeding

At our 4 month appt, my pediatrician talked about going straight to cup feeding and skipping bottles altogether. My son is not really used to bottles and admittedly I have not been trying hard.

My pediatrician's reasoning is that with a cup and eventually a sippy/straw cup, babies can self regulate better. With bottles she said they will just chug whatever is in there. I go back to work in 2 weeks and have a caregiver who would be open to this.

I'm worried about cup feeding as the sole source of food for the day. Plus the waste. What do you think?

Default Re: Cup feeding

I think the overfeeding is more a function of the feeder? Trying to get baby to finish a bottle rather than stopping when baby is actually full. I don't think 4/5 month olds have enough dexterity to hold a sip or straw cup (dd2 sure doesn't and neither did dd1 at that age) and self feed so i think you'd be right back to that scenario of the provider following the amount in the bottle than the fullness cues. Speed of feeding i don't think is necessarily a negative thing for them to eat fast. FWIW, with OALD dd2 is done with all her awake feeds in under 5 min and she does seem to be able still to tell when she's full.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

Thanks. I think she wants someone to feed using a regular cup. I just think it'd be hard to do that at his age.

Why would there be waste? They could put an ounce in a tiny cup, feed your baby with it and then add another ounce if the baby still wants more. I think it would take a long time - I'm not sure how your DCP would feel about that after a while. I also think pediatricians are more worried than they need to be about getting babies off of bottles at an early age. I did pull the bottle for both my girls as soon as they weren't getting expressed breast milk anymore, but even if they were still using bottles at 18 months or 2 years, I don't think I would care.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months