Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy, crying, pulling at the breast...

Default Fussy, crying, pulling at the breast...

Hi,

Just a quick question re my DD's feeding lately. DD feeds really well and normally during the night and early morning, but come lunchtime through to evening she becomes very fussy and cries whilst feeding. She latches on fine, feeds well for the first 5 mins but then becomes irritated (pulling at the breast, pulling off the breast, streching out her whole body etc) and cries for the duration of the feed. Initially I thought I just had a very fast letdown so have tried to express a bit before letting her latch, but that doesn't seem to help. I also thought of colic or reflux, but am now just plain confused. Any advice as to what I can do to help her? She's putting on weight fine, but this is exhausting me!

I know I should be wiser the second time round, but with DS the whole Bfing was a struggle. Total contrast to now as the whole experience couldn't be going smoother until now, more reason for it to be frustrating me!

Thanks in advance for any help x
    Last edited by @llli*caledonia; July 23rd, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Default Re: Fussy, crying, pulling at the breast...

My baby fussed a lot at the breast. Some of it was due to an insane overactive letdown (nursing in a reclined position was a lifesaver for that), some of it was due to slowing of the flow after letdown, and some of it was due to who knows what. Here are some things that helped me get my baby calm enough to nurse:

• Latch/nurse while walking with my baby in a sling or carrier or just in my arms.
    • Latch/nurse while bouncing my baby on my knee.
    • Latch/nurse while rocking and singing.
    • Nurse with music playing (pretty loud sometimes).
    • Nurse outside while on a walk with my son in the sling/carrier or sitting on the deck.
    • Nurse in the bath.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Also, if you do have a very fast letdown, then it is possible that your baby could be finished nursing in 5 minutes. My baby nursed just a few minutes on just one breast for most of his infancy. Of course if she still seems hungry then that's probably not the case, but I wanted to throw that out there.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

My ds used to do this all the time starting at around 6ish weeks. He grew out of it somewhere around 8 weeks I think. He still does it occasionally, and it's usually because he has to burp! I unlatch him and try to burp him and then let him latch again if he wants. I have a strong letdown, so I think he gets frustrated with a slower flow too.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Fussy evenings. They are textbook normal at this age- so much so that there are widely recognized terms for them, things like "evenings-only colic" or "the witching hour(s)". Phi gave some excellent suggestions for dealing with them, to which I would just add the following:
    - keep the house calm- tv, stereo, and lights down or preferably off
    - white noise- even the static between channels on the radio can help
    - motion- in addition to the rocking and slinging suggested above, try swinging baby in a swing, stroller rides, bouncing on an exercise ball, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"