Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having Trouble Starting

Default Having Trouble Starting

Hey all, Im glad I found somewhere I can get some help. We just had a Beautiful
    daughter on Thursday (7/19). One of the nurses in the hospital told us to give some
    formula in the first days if we weren't getting any milk or calostro. That has been the case my husband and I panicked a have been giving her formula in a way that resembles breast feeding. We let her stimulate the breast, and every time she wants to feed she first sucks for at least 20 min before we give the formula... Please advise. The more I read the more I think we are doing the wrong thing. Thank in advance!!!

Default Re: Having Trouble Starting

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I'd like to that nurse who suggested formula. In the first few days of breastfeeding, the amount of colostrum that a mom produces is quite small, and that is normal. As long as the baby is passing her meconium (those first, tar-black poops) and is being nursed on demand or every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night, there is no reason to think baby needs more than what mom is producing. It's very important to nurse frequently, because it is the constant stimulation of the breast by the baby which causes milk to be produced in large quantities.

Your baby is now 4 days old. Is your milk in yet? It usually takes between 2-5 days after childbirth for milk to arrive. You'd know if it was because you would be able to express drops of creamy yellowish-white liquid onto the surface of the nipple. Many moms expect that they will suddenly feel engorged as their milk "comes in", but this may not happen and is not necessary for successful breastfeeding.

Do you have a lactation consultant, perferably an IBCLC, available to you? If so, I would see her as soon as possible for some hands-on help and evaluation of what is going on with you and your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Having Trouble Starting

Don’t worry you have done anything wrong. You got bad advice from your nurse, this is why formula should NEVER be ordered by nurses when a mom wants to breastfeed, it is in that case a medical intervention and should be prescribed ONLY by a doctor if a baby needs it, which is rarely the case at that age. Your milk is always the PERFECT food for your baby.

But nothing that happened this early will prevent you from breastfeeding going forward. If baby can latch and nurse, nurse baby lots and lots. Basically a newborn this age needs to nurse a ton, if it feel like you are nursing constantly, that is good. You may want to stop supplementing and just nurse, watching babies output (poops) and weight gain carefully. Nursing sessions at this very early age could normally take twice or 3 times as long as 20 minutes, do not time feedings. If, based on weight gain, supplements are needed, consider giving supplements in very small amounts BEFORE nursing. And if supplements ARE actually needed, breastfeeding must be assessed to figure out WHY baby cannot get enough at the breast. If baby cannot latch and nurse, or nursing is very painful for you, then you may need hands on help-can you see an IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant?)

See this article for more on what is normal in the early days: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Diaper log (for tracking output): http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf