Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old not rooting anymore? Normal?

Default 2 month old not rooting anymore? Normal?

I've started noticing that I can't read my baby's cues all of a sudden. Now I feed her when she's already fussing or crying, so it makes me think that I've missed some kind of signal from her.

She used to root around and make little noises (I called it her milk face and milk noises hehe) but she hasn't done that in awhile. I remember reading that fussing and crying is the last cue that a baby uses to let mommy know that she is hungry, and in the beginning she would never have to cry for milk!

Or maybe I just need to stop worrying all the time...
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Default Re: 2 month old not rooting anymore? Normal?

Right around 2 months, I also suddenly got confused on cues, as they got more subtle and, well, confusing. I think part of it was his temperament, and part was that he was becoming very interested in the world so he didn't realize himself either until it was "too late". We did a lot of walking around nursing in motion, since that was the only way he'd settle down..... it was just a phase, and he outgrew it and moved on to other confusing phases. I wouldn't worry too much but maybe just offer even if she isn't asking so you can catch on to her new cues.

Very normal for instinctual hunger cues like rooting and mouthing to vanish as time goes on. I think it's a feature of baby's increasing ability to communicate her needs via crying- now that she has discovered the most reliable way to say "feed me!", she doesn't need to bother with the subtler cues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Did she suddenly discover her hands? While many people think it's cute that they're sucking their thumb / fingers / fist, it is a cue! I had to teach my MIL that it isn't cute, that it is something she does when she's hungry (yes, again, yes, now) and to hand baby over.

The only consistent thing about our kids is that they're inconsistent. Because they're constantly learning, discovering and growing! Try not to worry too much, you'll figure our her new cues in short order.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks everyone! Glad to know it is normal. I'm noticing that her crying is gradually being replaced by cooing, so it makes sense that she is using different methods to communicate as she develops.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Right around 2 months, I also suddenly got confused on cues, as they got more subtle and, well, confusing. I think part of it was his temperament, and part was that he was becoming very interested in the world so he didn't realize himself either until it was "too late". We did a lot of walking around nursing in motion, since that was the only way he'd settle down..... it was just a phase, and he outgrew it and moved on to other confusing phases. I wouldn't worry too much but maybe just offer even if she isn't asking so you can catch on to her new cues.
    I will try walking her around while nursing because walking her is how I usually calm her down anyway, I've never tried nursing in motion though...!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Did she suddenly discover her hands? While many people think it's cute that they're sucking their thumb / fingers / fist, it is a cue! I had to teach my MIL that it isn't cute, that it is something she does when she's hungry (yes, again, yes, now) and to hand baby over.

The only consistent thing about our kids is that they're inconsistent. Because they're constantly learning, discovering and growing! Try not to worry too much, you'll figure our her new cues in short order.
    Haha, yup, my parents are visiting and any time I think she needs to be fed they say "Again?? She's so chubby!" But I was formula fed so they aren't too familiar with breastfeeding. It is helpful though because they are very used to being around babies and are trying to help me figure out her cues. We are all pretty clueless though, she is currently an enigma

I will be on the lookout for her sucking on her hands. I have noticed that when she is fussing around in her crib at night, she is trying to get her hands to her mouth a lot of the time so that is when I pick her up to feed her. Thank you for the insight!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wuvamber View Post

Haha, yup, my parents are visiting and any time I think she needs to be fed they say "Again?? She's so chubby!"
    I formula fed with my first and now I'm breastfeeding. Every time I feed her I always get people saying "Is she really hungry already" YES, YES SHE IS! ugh......

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Angie0712 View Post
    I formula fed with my first and now I'm breastfeeding. Every time I feed her I always get people saying "Is she really hungry already" YES, YES SHE IS! ugh......
    Wouldn't it be such sweet revenge to say "Are you really hungry/thirsty already?" every time one of those critical people opened the fridge or took a drink of water?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I find my kids have all done the same thing- later they use different cues. I do find though that for some reason, my 3rd sucks her fingers/thumb etc even when she's NOT hungry. It I offer, she doesn't want it. Or she alternates sucking her thumb with nursing! LOL

They are all so different, I find it kind of neat!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!