Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How?

Default Re: Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How

No, when baby was younger I did more feedings. When she started to sleep through the night and go longer between feedings is when I dropped nursings, and that is when I had the worst period of plugged ducts. Now with 4 feedings I don't have great milk supply, especially in the evenings. Still, even with low milk supply, I still get clogs if she doesn't drain completely. I think the best advice given is for me to slowly spread out the feedings. And, yes, I think it may take me longer than a few weeks, and that's OK.

Default Re: Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How

That's a good point about spreading the feedings out more. If your daughter is amenable to the idea, you can wait until you feel quite full but not engorged, and then nurse. Don't push it to full engorgement, but your body needs to register that your breasts are full to start producing less. I would also regularly massage your breasts and stay on top of any tender spots that develop. Massage can actually work on clogs even without a lot of nursing - I learned this when I had to wean off of one side for a while for medical reasons.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.