Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting sick... What should I do?

Default Getting sick... What should I do?

I think I'm getting a cold. I have a runny nose and my throat hurts. I read that cold medicine might reduce my milk supply and my baby won't take a bottle yet (we are working on that) and he already cries and fusses between let downs ( he's impatient for the milk so much I have to walk around the house holding him while nursing just to keep him calm) and feeds every hour. I don't want my throat to get infected so I feel I should take medicine but what kind? And does the day time medicines have caffeine? And do the night time meds have a sleep aide? Should I take fenugreek while taking cold meds? If so how much?

Default Re: Getting sick... What should I do?

Cold medicines won't keep your throat from getting infected, they simply help alleviate the symptoms. You can take regular Tylenol or ibuprofen to help with generalized aches and fever. Steamy showers and hot tea with honey can help. If you get a bad cough, talk to your doctor for recommendations on cough suppressants. Avoid any decongestants since these can impact supply. There is no reason to pump, IMO it is just more work and will make you even more tired. Instead, climb into bed with your baby and snuggle and nurse. Your baby will get antibodies against the cold virus in your milk. Stay hydrated and you will not need to take anything to boost your supply.

with every word of PP. In case you can't get by without meds, here is a list of breastfeeding compatible cold & allergy treatments. However, as mentioned, no medicines will prevent an infection and I would stick with ibuprofen or acetaminophen and some hot tea or soup to treat a cold if possible. Also, your body should be producing extra immune factors right now, so the milk you are currently producing is better for your baby than frozen milk to help prevent or treat potential infection.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

How old is your baby? Nursing every hour is entirely normal in the early weeks, and if your baby is ill too that would ramp up comfort nursing. No matter what you choose to do in the meds dept, I would suggest keep letting baby nurse lots, hydrate yourself lots, and get as much rest as you can, by lying down with baby and nursing in a restful state rather than walking around, if you possibly can! Or lay down or sit to nurse and then let someone else who is not sick walk baby around. I agree with pp, cold meds will not make you any less sick or shorten your illness, better to just take what you need that is safe that will give you pain/discomfort relief. But even if you take meds that reduce your supply that will be very temporary. Just keep nursing lots.

article on nursing when mom is ill: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...y/mom-illness/

I have been drinking hot water with lemon and tring to sleep more and i'm feeling a little better. I will try to continue so i dont have to take meds. My baby is 10 weeks old he sleeps 6 hours at night so during the day he nurses every hour to hour and a half. He only stays latched when I walk him around. It has been that way for 2 weeks now. I hope this is a phase, it gets very tiring. I bought a sling to carry him around in but my breasts are so small we can't find a comfortable position. Any suggestions?