Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep Feeding

Default Re: Sleep Feeding

Did you read the research LLLmeg provided in that link. It's not harmful at all.

Way too lazy for formula

Nursing a sleeping baby is a time honored and no doubut ancient reflex and tradition that helps moms and babies get more milk, more comfort nursing (good for baby) and more sleep! Plus now there is actual reseach on how helpful it can be in difficult situations. I suspect your baby nurses quickly when awake due to some distractions or forceful letdown and that is why sleep nursing was more relaxed for baby. But of course hard to draw any conclusions one way or the other from single nursing session. You and your baby may or may not like dream feeding going forward, idk, but it is certainly fine to do!

There is lots of plain old out and out incorrect information on breastfeeding out there, both online and in books such as baby care manuals (and, unfortunately, even from medical professionals.) That is why for 55 years LLL has tried to provide moms with evidence based information about breastfeeding. Much of the misinformation is due to people equating bottle feeding with breastfeeding and giving moms the same advice for both, when they are different in virtually every way. Please consider the source of all information you get.

I wish my little peanut would sleep nurse!! I keep trying to get her to latch on in her sleep, but so far, no dice (she'll probably do it later, though). I dream fed Joe all the time - as a way to relieve my engorgement in the middle of the night, or to get him to sleep in later in the morning, or just because. It's a great tool for the working mom, because you can often get a few extra feedings in at night or in the early morning that way, which means LESS PUMPING during the day, which is awesome!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well we tried it during the day and she wasn't doing that great like she did the other day (it was a fussy day though) so at night she was falling asleep and I tried feeding her and she did good. In the morning as soon as I heard her fussing I grabbed her and fed her. Usually I give her a little bit of time because she usually falls asleep but then she wakes up more awake and hungry and she ate good then as well I really love when she enjoys it and takes her time!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Angie0712 View Post
    Well we tried it during the day and she wasn't doing that great like she did the other day (it was a fussy day though) so at night she was falling asleep and I tried feeding her and she did good. In the morning as soon as I heard her fussing I grabbed her and fed her. Usually I give her a little bit of time because she usually falls asleep but then she wakes up more awake and hungry and she ate good then as well I really love when she enjoys it and takes her time!
    Great job I try to grab my baby girl as soon as she starts fussing too (I've tried waiting it out to see if she'll go back to sleep, but I don't think she's ready for 8 hour stretches at night yet) and she eats very well during those times.
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage