Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Feeding

Default Sleep Feeding

So today my daughter was falling asleep and it was close to feeding time and I decided to feed her now instead of waiting for her to wake up in 10 min. ready to eat. She ate great! She ate 9 min. on one side and 6 on the other. Usually I only get her to eat 5 min. on one side and usually never on the other side. Then she had a nice decent nap.

My friend mentioned something about sleep feeding and I really know nothing about it. Just wondering on your experiences with it good or bad?? What you think about it good or bad??? I'm unsure how I feel about shoving my breast in her mouth when she's sleeping but hey if it gets her to eat a good amount instead of the way we've been doing it maybe!?!?!?!

I also don't know if she will even eat. When she falls asleep on the breast and I try the other side she doesn't care or spits me out SO it might not even help anyway.

Default Re: Sleep Feeding

Is there a reason why you think your baby needs to nurse more?

It doesn't hurt to try some dream feeds, but if weight gain and diaper output are good then there is no reason to think your baby needs these additional nursing sessions.

If I recall correctly you were dealing with oversupply and/or overactive letdown, yes? If so then it is common for babies to get plenty of milk in a very short amount of time. Short frequent feedings are normal and actually very healthy. My son nursed only for a few minutes for each feeding and was an extremely chubby, happy, healthy baby. He would nurse in his sleep sometimes, but only if he was hungry and refused otherwise.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Some babies do instinctively latch and nurse better when sleepy or sleeping. That is how mothers of striking infants get them to eat. Also when my baby was little and he started to stir, the name of the game was to get my boob in his mouth BEFORE he opened his eyes or actually cried. We called that "dream feeding". I always would nurse my baby up and down for bed and naps. So I think feeding a sleepy baby is a normal part of the day.

Way too lazy for formula

I am excited to see this post. Lots of folks think a baby always has to be awoken (or awake on their own) to nurse well. But this is not the case. I keep telling new moms that babies can and do nurse in their sleep and it's good and fine to encourage this normal, reflex behavior. This is not just my opinion, this is based on the experiences of many moms and, more recently, the biological nurturing research done by Suzanne Colson. In fact, encouraging a baby to nurse when asleep or sleepy is a often a great help with issues like breast refusal, poor latch, full breasts, sore nipples etc. Check out the bio nurturing video on her website, it shows how a baby will cue, latch and nurse basically in sleep. The biological nurturing position facilitates this behavior, however, no need to be in a laid back positioning to nurse a baby in their sleep. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

No, I dont feel my baby needs to nurse more but when I fed her when she was starting to dose off she did so much better then she normally does. Usually I only get 5 min on one side (sometimes both) but this time she did 9 min one and 6 on the other. I'm sure she gets enough in 5 min when she eats. I'm not worried about that. She just took her time during this feeding and took pauses. It was nice. I wouldn't do it to keep her sleeping longer. I don't mind getting up but I just thought it would help her take her time eating and maybe have less tummy issues. I'm still unsure I want to do this. I googled it and got mixed reviews. I will continue to try and nurse during the day when she doses off though and see how that goes.

My DD is currently going through a "phase" (because I'm still hoping it will end) where she will ONLY nurse in her sleep. So, that's what we do. I work FT so she gets bottles at daycare during the day. Otherwise, I have to put her to sleep, then feed her. I don't know why she's like this, and it would be nice if she would nurse while awake someday again, but this is how it is for us. She nurses beautifully when she's sleeping. Fortunately she's also a pretty good sleeper so dreamfeeding doesn't disturb her. I can tell you it wouldn't have worked as well with DS who was more active and a lighter sleeper! Do what works. I think dreamfeeding is nice.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angie0712 View Post
    No, I dont feel my baby needs to nurse more but when I fed her when she was starting to dose off she did so much better then she normally does. Usually I only get 5 min on one side (sometimes both) but this time she did 9 min one and 6 on the other. I'm sure she gets enough in 5 min when she eats. I'm not worried about that. She just took her time during this feeding and took pauses. It was nice. I wouldn't do it to keep her sleeping longer. I don't mind getting up but I just thought it would help her take her time eating and maybe have less tummy issues. I'm still unsure I want to do this. I googled it and got mixed reviews. I will continue to try and nurse during the day when she doses off though and see how that goes.
    Oh I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with dream feeding. I just wanted to say that 5 minute feedings can be perfectly normal (as you know) and not to worry if your baby sometimes refuses because if she's growing well then she will do fine without them.

If you enjoy the dream feeds, then do them! They aren't harmful. I used to try to sneak in a dream feed before work when my son was an infant. I just would not limit nursing to dream feeds. Continue to nurse on demand, but add in additional dream feeds as she falls asleep. And don't expect this to necessarily help with gas. Maybe it will (it's worth a try); just don't be too disappointed if it does not.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I don't think that dream feeding is harmful at all. I am also dealing with OALD (and used to be with a little bit of oversupply) and sometimes I feed DD when she is asleep so that we can have a calm feeding. If she is particularly fussy, then my fiance and I help her fall asleep first before I feed her.

I agree, it is nice when babies take their time!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Oh I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with dream feeding. I just wanted to say that 5 minute feedings can be perfectly normal (as you know) and not to worry if your baby sometimes refuses because if she's growing well then she will do fine without them.

If you enjoy the dream feeds, then do them! They aren't harmful. I used to try to sneak in a dream feed before work when my son was an infant. I just would not limit nursing to dream feeds. Continue to nurse on demand, but add in additional dream feeds as she falls asleep. And don't expect this to necessarily help with gas. Maybe it will (it's worth a try); just don't be too disappointed if it does not.
    I didn't take it that way I would not just dreamfed I would still nurse on demand. Maybe I will just stick to it during the day and not distrub her night time sleep. I was a little worried when reading about it because it said it could cause her to still wake up to feed at her normal time to eat. Plus it could cause her to wake up more often (I could see that because after her long sleep she will be back to every 3 hours) I hate to mess up what we have and be stuck doing it. I will just stick with the day time and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wuvamber View Post
    I don't think that dream feeding is harmful at all. I am also dealing with OALD (and used to be with a little bit of oversupply) and sometimes I feed DD when she is asleep so that we can have a calm feeding. If she is particularly fussy, then my fiance and I help her fall asleep first before I feed her.

I agree, it is nice when babies take their time!
    I am going to try this today......it was so nice to have her take her time