Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby crying for hours during night-help!

Default baby crying for hours during night-help!

My daughter is almost 5 weeks old. At about 3 weeks she started waking up around 11pm to feed, and would pull off after a few minutes screaming. So I would burp her...check her diaper, and she would still be screaming and looking like she is hungry. So I would try to feed her again, and she would pull off a few minutes later..screaming. And this will go on until around 3am when she would finally fall asleep. I figured that she just had gas, so I was reading in one of my books that you should avoid gassy foods like chocolate, onions, broccoli while you are b/f. So I have been avoiding them and I thought she would be better, but the same thing happened again last night, and Im pretty sure i didn't eat anything that could have caused her gas. I made an appt. with her pediatrician for tom. but I have a feeling shes not going to be much help. Im hoping someone has been through this and can give me some pointers. Its so upseting to see your baby cry like that for hours, it makes me feel terrible!

Default Re: baby crying for hours during night-help!

You are so not alone. My 7 week old son screams and cries for a few hours a few nights a week. I never know if it will be a good night or not. It usually happens between the hours of 8 pm till 11 pm. But he could be nice and quiet through those hours and start at 11pm...we never know.
    Just recently we have discovered that tightly swaddling him and holding him close works. But we cant put him down till he's been asleep for an hour or so. Hope that helps.

My son, who's now 6, was exactly the same way at that age, although he started in the day we came home from the hospital. I figured it was colick. He continued with this for about 3 months-just about a 3-4 hour bout of screaming and crying from 8-11pm.
    I found that rocking or swinging really helped him, although it didn't relieve or fix it completely.
    I can certainly sympathize!!!!!

jenno

Ditto, my almost 4w/o has started fussing/crying between 7 and 11:30ish every evening. She seems to want to eat but keeps pulling off and won't do a full feeding. At first I thought it was constipation of because she seemed so uncomfortable, but she is having plenty of dirty diapers a day. We have discovered that putting her in her swing will settle her for a bit. Also, walking with her over the shoulder works for a brief period of time... good luck! I've heard that a daily fussy time is very common for most babies.

I remember when my son was around that age (he's 13 months now) and it seemed like he was colicky and I thought I was doing something wrong or he wasn't nursing enough etc. After the 3 month mark... he just became better and better with each new day. What I'm trying to say is ....I think it's just a phase. I remember he would be awake all night and sleep all day and this happened for about a month. I thought I was going to go crazy but out of nowhere..it just stopped. Just hang in there and the first couple of months are tough..but afterwards you'll start to know his/her personality and then you'll know what to do to calm them down.

It truely does seem like emergent personality, however, if you think something may be wrong don't hesitate to call yur dr to check.

Be sure you get extra daytime rest to compensate. I agree that a daily fussy period is very normal at this age and my children were the same. It is tough to get through. In time you will find what works for you and your baby.
    I really liked to wear my baby all the time during the day and that seemed to help. My husband has a special carry he does that babies seem to like. He holds them tummy down on his forearm, head resting on his hand, but still very close to his body and will gently walk about this way.
    It is perfectly OK to put your baby down for a few minutes too so you can get a drink of water and calm down a bit. It can be very stressful to deal with a crying baby for hours by yourself. Just know this will pass and usually by three months they are more predictable and all smiles and giggles.

Anne
    momuvseven