Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day w/o baby and w/o pumping!

Default A day w/o baby and w/o pumping!

Hey all!

I am currently back at work and pumping every 2-3 hours, which gives me about 3 oz per session (4 sessions) for my baby, sometimes 2.5oz. She's 2 months today! (july 20th)

I got a call for a job interview and that made me think about what will I do that day since I will be out on the the interview and I probably won't be able to pump, just because I will be jumping from office to office and I don't think I can tell them "Hey I need 20 minutes every 2 hours to pump breastmilk"

Will a day without pumping affect my milk supply? I would think so, but I don't know what to do about it!!!

And... I had another question - as my baby grows, I guess she will need more than 3 oz per feeding, and I don't know how to increase my milk supply since I'm at work most of the day. How does that work?? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Default Re: A day w/o baby and w/o pumping!

Will the interview be the entire day? I would at least pump in the car on the way there and back, but if it is an entire day you may need to figure something out if only for the discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leemami View Post
    And... I had another question - as my baby grows, I guess she will need more than 3 oz per feeding, and I don't know how to increase my milk supply since I'm at work most of the day. How does that work?? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!
    My son only took 3 ounces per feeding until he was well over a year old. Some babies will take 4 ounces slightly less frequently as they get a little older, but that's about it. Breastfed babies do not need increased amounts of milk like formula fed babies because breastmilk changes to meet your babies needs. So you don't need to worry about increasing your supply.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Definately pump and drive. Its easy. Get a car adaptor and a hands-free pumping bra (simplewishes is my favorite). Get in the car and get all set up. Put on a nursing cover. Strap on your seatbelt. Off you go.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I don't have the schedule yet, but it is a plant and most likely will be at least the whole morning.
    I have a medela double pump and a bustier, which have worked so far at work for hands-free pumping. I guess I need to find a car power supply so I can pump and drive!

Will the milk be ok in the car in with the ice bags in the cooler? It gets pretty hot here in Mississippi! and more in the car!
    And how long will the milk be good in the refrigerator after I get the milk in there when I go back home?

Thanks for your replies! I would have never thought about that!

The milk should be okay if you keep it on plenty of ice in a sealed cooler. I would try to find a shaded parking spot or at least keep the cooler out of direct sunlight. You might want to use that milk the next day just to be safe; although it will probably stay good as long as any other milk in the refridgerator as long as it stays cold in the car.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Can you sneak a little pump with a hand pump in the bathroom? I don't think your supply will suffer long term from one long morning without pumping, but I don't want you to be engorged. A little handpump could help you take the edge off - you must get 10 minutes somewhere in the schedule, right?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oh my God, it's so funny you posted this, I'm about to go through the same thing! I have to do a lot of interviewing in the next couple of weeks, and I'm afraid of the ones that will potentially last all day. My plan was to pump on the way there and then pump in the car on the way back -- in my industry, MOST interviews that last "all day" are about four hours or so. I know I can go that long, I'll just be REALLY ready to pump at the end of it. I have a little cooler and ice packs and the milk is just fine stored that way.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

I went on several interviews while nursing (one- and two-day affairs), and I always asked to have pumping time scheduled into the interview. I was always accommodated. However, I'm in the academic world, which is probably more progressive than some other fields/industries, when it comes to that sort of thing. Have you considered asking to have some time set aside during the interview?

i was also generously accomodated on an all-day academic interview - they gave me someone's office which had a minifridge. it's actually a good test of how family-friendly they will be when you work there; after all, at interview, they're trying to impress you as much as you them. so depending on your desperation for the job, i think it's fine and even good to request accomodations. in fact they should ASK if you need accomodations (to be compliant wtih ADA) anyway.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'd find some way..,what if you leak all over your suit?!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!