Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10.5mo suddenly not eating

Default 10.5mo suddenly not eating

DS is 10.5 months old and up until recently has been just fine with taking a bottle. Normally he drinks about 15 oz of EBM while I'm at work.

Lately, though, he's been less than willing to drink his milk. My mom described it saying he'll drink an ounce or two, then throw the bottle and wiggle himself away from whowever is feeding him. He still does okay with solids, purees mostly, so they can get some milk into him by mixing with solids and spoon feeding. But it's hard to get 15 oz that way.

He's in the middle of learning how to walk, which is probably not helping. He's wiggly while breastfeeding too but if I keep offering he usually settles down eventually.

Here are some things we have tried:
    -- using a sippy cup (he bites on the spout, or throws it)
    -- using a different bottle
    -- using a faster flow nipple
    -- adding other flavors to the milk, like pureed peaches
    -- walking around holding him while he drinks

Any advice, or other things we can try?
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Default Re: 10.5mo suddenly not eating

Is this a nursing strike???
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Is he still willing to nurse? If so, it's not a nursing strike but a bottle strike.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Is he still willing to nurse? If so, it's not a nursing strike but a bottle strike.
    That makes sense. Any advice, other than gentle persistence?
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

I have a very similar thing happening with my 10.5 month old!! She only gets one bottle a day at daycare (I pick up around 2:30 or 3) and she is refusing her bottle. They usually get her to take 4 oz from a sippy cup (she will sometimes take bottle if she is very sleepy I'm told). She also has a hard time settling down to nurse at 3 when we get home (definitely won't nurse at daycare). I would not mind the whole situation, but she has increased her night waking/feeding... and I'm tired (even with co-sleeping from 12-5). I'm suspecting maybe teeth, but I don't know. What are we supposed to do for a bottle strike?