Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I nurse one side and use other for pumping?

Default Can I nurse one side and use other for pumping?

Here's my question sorry it is kinda lengthy....About six wks ago DS started w/ the mucousy bloody poos and I eliminated dairy etc...went to block feedings b/c of OALD/too much milk. I had an oversupply w/ first DD so I never pumped this time. Just recently since I started back at work my supply plummetted to what I guess is considered a normal supply (I actually had to feed from both breasts per feedings). DS's poos were actually seedy yellow over the weekend YEAH first time in 6wks. However, b/c I never did extra pumping I did not have extra milk stored and for fear of overstimulation, I only pump every 4hrs or so at work.
    I am not pumping enough to satisfy what he takes at sitter as well as what goes to waste . I did a few extra pumping sessions yesterday to catch up on supply and today I am back to square one w/ the oversupply. I started thinking.....Could I use only one breast daily to feed DS from to correct hindmilk/foremilk. And take advantage of my supply from the other breast to stock up my freezer. I think this would solve both my problems, but would it work? Has anyone done this? If I don't do something different I fear having to supplement, which seems crazy considering I have plenty of milk, I have just been too afraid to pump too much b/c it stimulates my milk production. ANY suggestions would be great. THanks.

Default Re: Can I nurse one side and use other for pumping?

I have tried that before and it did work. You could pump anyways on one side one feeding and the other side on another feeding that way it can stayed balanced. HTH

There is no reason you can't try that. I can see your dilemma!

May I ask about the waste? You mentioned milk being wasted. Do you know why this is happening?

The waste is usually in the evenings before I get home from work. DH makes DS a bottle because he is fussy and sometimes he doesn't take it...I think he knows I will be home soon. I keep telling DH not to put much in the bottle but his reasoning is that DS sometimes wants the whole bottle and then some....Also the young woman I get to pick DS up from daycare left some of my frozen milk out on accident I'm sure you get the point! I have gone from some stored up to none. Luckily daycare is at the hospital I work..so If i have to, I can go feed him every-so often. But, I can't leave for too long. Any suggestions on pumping from one/feeding from the other? Do I pump w/ each nursing or should I just pump when I feel full? I just want to get ahead w/ hope of eventually bringing my supply back down. THanks.

Sorry I didn't get back to you until now. How are things going? You may wish to share milk storage guidelines with your dh.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Human milk is so amazing. If you notice at the bottom of this FAQ it states that you can thaw previously frozen milk and keep it refrigerated for 24 hours. So if dh would be ok with this, he could still thaw "too much" but just not offer it all. (In other words, he could thaw 6 oz. and offer 3. If ds is still hungry, he could offer one more oz. and then one more oz.) Whatever is left can be used for up to 24 hours without waste!

How great that you can nurse ds while at work. Even if it's only a short time, that is still SO helpful for your supply. Plus, I'm sure ds enjoys it!

If you are comfortable pumping on one side while he is nursing on the other, that is fine. I would try to just get what you think you need, but not too much more. (I know this is hard when you are worried about waste. )

How did things go this week?

Well things were going good, I actually pumped enough extra to have for a whole days supply while I am at work. I was feeling better about things...and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Then...I opened my freezer to put some milk up and to my horror my milk was starting to defrost.....it all still had ice crystals on it but everything was thawing. My husband said maybe our freezer was in a defrost cycle. In a panic I brought all of my milk to my MIL's. My question is..IS this milk still good? I posted this on the milk storage forum but no one answered. I had maybe 10 bags or so...I would hate for those to be wasted....Thank you.

Yikes!

Was it completely thawed or just partially?

Could you try to use that up fairly soon (like tomorrow?).

I would think that would be the safest route at this point.

Those auto-defrost cycles are so dangerous! I thought I saw another thread on this in the pumping forum. I will check. And I will see if I can find any other info for you.