Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD after growth spurt

Default OALD after growth spurt

My daughter is 6 1/2 weeks old and I think was just going through a growth spurt. Alternate days of constant eating and lots of sleeping. She seems to be out of the spurt now, but I have been left with OS and major OALD. She is usually a calm eater, but now is writhing around, pulling off, and getting upset...when she pulls off, there is usually a strong stream of milk that continue to shoot out of my nipple for a long time, so I see why she is having a difficult time.

I am hesitant to block feed because I don't want to reduce my supply this early on. Nursing reclined helps sometimes but not always. I have used a hand pump for about a minute a few times too, but I am worried that doing that could exacerbate the problem in the long run.

Any advice?

Default Re: OALD after growth spurt

You're right to avoid the pump as much as possible, and I agree that block feeding probably isn't warranted. Try tweaking the reclined position and some different positions; side lying works well for some mamas. You can try removing your baby from the breast at letdown and letting the milk spray into a towel then relatching.

Your supply should stabilize fairly soon if you stay the course and don't pump if the increase was just due to a growth spurt.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).