Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bowel Movements

Default Bowel Movements

I was just curious if breastfed babies are suppose to have a hard time passing a bowel movement? Seem like my daughter has such a hard time. She is a gassy baby so that could be it but she is always grunting and pushing and farting. My doc said a breastfed baby could go a week without going but I wouldn't think they would be in pain? She will go once a day or every other day. When I change her diaper she sometimes has streaks in her diaper. I just thought breastmilk is easier to digest so she wouldn't struggle? Any thoughts or tips? By the way she is 8 weeks today.

Default Re: Bowel Movements

After 6 weeks it is quite common for breastfed babies to go as much as a week, sometimes more, between poops. This is possible because breastmilk is so easily and completely digested that there is very little waste left over to excrete. This is very different from the elimination patterns of formula-fed infants. Formula contains so much indigestible material that formula-fed babies should poop every day or so, though they often do not because formula causes constipation.

When a baby is constipated, she will be in severe discomfort when pooping (screaming, crying, turning red with effort), and the poop will be dry, hard, pellet-like, and solid enough to to roll right out of the diaper if you pick it up. If baby's poop is soft, liquid, or peanut-butter consistency, it's not constipation poop. That doesn't mean that baby won't make effortful noises and faces when trying to pass stool or gas. It takes babies a while to adjust to the normal workings of their digestive systems. Think about it this way: if you had never passed gas or pooped until 8 weeks ago, you'd still be kind of upset by the process, wouldn't you?

Your baby will grow out of her grunting, pushing, and farting as her muscle tone improves and she learns how to get a poop/fart out without as much work. Just be patient with her, and if she seems really uncomfortable try popping her in a warm bath or doing some gentle tummy massage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is not in pain when pooping. You can always tell her calm relief look after she is done. It is not hard at all. It's either liquid-like (not too bad) or like peanut butter and a normal color. I just was wondering because usaully she is fine when she poops but it always seems like she is trying because she is grunting, red, and pushing which what seems to me "trying to poop" but she wont until later or the next day (while still doing that through out the day)

My baby girl also makes some funny faces and noises when she is trying to poop. I agree with mommal, I think it's just difficult for babies to actually coordinate the mechanism to poop!! ...which is kind of sad.

Sometimes she will also whine a little, but I think this more out of frustration than pain. Then after a lot of squirming and pushing I'll hear the tellltale "pffffttttt gurgle gurgle" and she'll look confused but content!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If baby's poop is soft, liquid, or peanut-butter consistency, it's not constipation poop. That doesn't mean that baby won't make effortful noises and faces when trying to pass stool or gas. It takes babies a while to adjust to the normal workings of their digestive systems. Think about it this way: if you had never passed gas or pooped until 8 weeks ago, you'd still be kind of upset by the process, wouldn't you?

Your baby will grow out of her grunting, pushing, and farting as her muscle tone improves and she learns how to get a poop/fart out without as much work. Just be patient with her, and if she seems really uncomfortable try popping her in a warm bath or doing some gentle tummy massage.
    What you've described is normal. My son grunted and kicked and squirmed a lot while pooping when he was little. Our pediatrician told me to hold him in a squatting position to help him poop. Babies will sometimes tense the wrong muscles trying to push a poop and that makes it more difficult. Squatting makes it impossible to tense those muscles.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I know the grunting and pushing is normal but I just thought they usually pooped a little bit after trying....I just feel she will do this for a long time before she even poops (I do try to help her) sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. She sometimes wont poop until the next day.....maybe she feels she has to but really doesnt ???

That's normal too. She's just learning about her digestive system. Mine did the same. It's not a problem.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    That's normal too. She's just learning about her digestive system. Mine did the same. It's not a problem.
    Okay thanks! Just feel bad for her!

I understand. It's hard watching a baby trying hard to poop and not having a rapid result. But trust me, as your baby gets older and gets more muscle control, pooping/passing gas is going to get so much easier for her!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"