Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Told Me To Switch to Formula?!

Default Re: Dr. Told Me To Switch to Formula?!

I agree with the pp. A second opinion is important. There are likely a combination of factors going on (crawling, naturally small, etc.). I feel that if indeed there is a need to supplement, there is no reason why that can't be through increased nursing or expressed breastmilk. Saying that breastmilk doesn't have enough "caloric content" is ridiculous. Hang in there and good luck with the new ped. Let us know how it goes!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Thank you so much for your replies!

I am so glad that I didn't accept what my previous Ped. said at face value and found a second opinion.

My new Ped. checked DD out and said that everything looks wonderful and that she usually sees some stagnation in weight gain of EBF babies around 6-9 months, so she isn't all that concerned with how petite she is at the moment. The fact that she is already crawling and pulling up to stand are most likely a factor, burning the extra calories.

She also said that with the history of chronic ear infections, ezcema and allergies in my family - that stopping EBF to switch to formula is certainly the last thing that I should do, if I can help it.

She is going to have me come back in to recheck her weight 3 weeks later just to see how introducing solids affects her weight gain. I am somewhat anxious about what the outcome will be if solids haven't caused a noticeable increase - - but I will just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

This experience has just reminded me that it is amazing how uneducated and unsupportive the majority of people are towards EBF, even Peds! Unbelievable. So thankful for LLL!

I'm so glad you sought out that second opinion! It sounds like the second ped was willing to look at baby first and the charts second. That can make such a big difference!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your solids advice! I appreciate it!

great update! Glad you trusted your mama instincts.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

So happy for you and your DD!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Unfortunately, I'm back again with another update:

Went in again to our new Ped. to double check on her weight gain after the introduction of solids. She had only gained a few ounces - for reference here is her weight again

Birth - 8 pounds 2 ounces
    1 Month - 9 pounds 2 ounces
    2 Months - 10 pounds 7 ounces
    4 Months - 12 pounds even
    6 Months - 12 pounds 7.5 ounces
    7 Months - 12 pounds 10.5 ounces (newest measurement)

I was hopeful that introducing solids would have elevated her weight so that there would be no cause for concern - - but now even the new Ped. wants to introduce formula.

However, even the new Ped. said that she looks completely healthy and hydrated - she is meeting all of her milestones - crawling everywhere, pulling up to stand now even (on every couch, chair and ottoman she can get her hands on) and trying to cruise!

She said that honestly her only concern is the black and white numbers on the growth chart (not the WHO chart) but that because of that, she has to address it in some way.

DD has been teething pretty badly and a little more distracted/disinterested in nursing lately - wanting to be mobile instead - but I guess I am just not sure how introducing formula would help with any of that? I also just don't see why formula would be the answer - if there are no other concerns other than growth chart and she still has ALWAYS gained weight, just not very much? Aren't some babies just naturally more petite? I have found so many other moms on message boards with EBF kids that are also just tiny and not meeting milestones but there doesn't seem to be as much of a concern?

Are there any other ideas out there for what I could do? Isn't there some sort of herb that I could take to even further increase my supply so that maybe I could pump extra milk to do supplemental bottles occasionally of breastmilk instead of formula? Could anyone tell me what that is?

Should I be more concerned about this? I just personally have the goal of having a happy, healthy child - - and she is! I'm not so sure what the fuss is about the insistence on gaining weight more rapidly than her body apparently will do on its own?

Feeling confused and frustrated! Any help or advice would be so appreciated!

On the who charts it looks like that weight puts you right below 3rd percentile, which if your baby had been there since birth wouldn't be a concern, but since she keeps dropping, it may or may not be an issue. This isn't something I would be freaking out about necessarily, but I think it would be wise to take steps to try to get more weight on her. However, you don't necessarily need to go right to formula.

I would actually back off on solids or stop altogether, since breast milk is more nutrient dense than any other food you could give her. If she fills up on less nutritious solids she may nurse less and that is the opposite of what you want. Try to nurse more often, shooting for every two hours whether baby is asking for it or not. And if you do have to supplement you are correct that it would be better to use breastmilk than formula, since again breast milk is more nutrient dense and has a higher fat content than formula.

Here are some more tips on things you could try. Have you seen a lactation consultant at all?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So sorry you're still having stress over this.

Your LO continues to be at the very bottom end of the charts, so I can understand why your doc is concerned. It's really tough to say whether or not your LO's growth is normal or not. On the one hand, she's really tiny. On the other, she seems perfectly healthy and active and happy. Is she one of those naturally tiny kids, or is something up? It's so hard to say!

At this point, I personally might consider formula or, preferably, supplementing with bottled breastmilk. If a baby is uninterested in nursing, she may just not be getting enough to eat. A bottle, which she can drag along with her as she cruises around, might get a few extra calories into her.

fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all useful herbs for increasing supply. However, herbs are not a substitute for frequent and complete milk removal. I would get myself a really good pump- a hospital-grade rental with correctly sized shields would be ideal- and use it frequently. Rigorous pumping will do more for you than any herb.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried dream nursing at night? Baby is asleep, but they will often latch on without waking and get in a solid feeding (helps with those distracted babies). If you try to get in a couple of extra nursings at night (do you cosleep? that will make it easier) it could help.

If introducing solids is something you want to continue with, back off of the rice cereal and try higher fat items like avocado. Mix in some breast milk if they don't like the taste.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and