Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pluged duct? Tips please

Default Pluged duct? Tips please

I think I have a plugged duct. How long does it take to go away. Im doing massages with every feed and in between? Any tips?

Default Re: Pluged duct? Tips please

many moms find applying vibration to the area helps. Nurse lots and lots as well, also, try nursing "downhill" (kneeling over baby) as descibed in this doc. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf (Some of the ideas here are just for blebs-plugged ducts on the nipple)

longer article about plugs and mastitis http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

For me, the best remedy is warm compresses while feeding/pumping. You can even put hot water in a diaper, and use that. It will stay warmer longer than a washcloth. I used to get them all of the time, so I invested in a moist heat heating pad (I have the carex bed buddy hot cold pack). I just put it on the affected area while I am feeding/pumping, and that almost always gets it out. HTH

All of the above. I find massaging the breast in a hot bath is what works best for me (or shower, if you haven't been cleared for a bath yet PP). I add salt to the bath as an antibacterial, to hopefully help ward off mastitis. Massage it in the bath, massage while feeding, massage massage massage. If it hurts, unfortunately, you're doing it right! It's worth a little discomfort to avoid an infection, though!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the tips and helpful links.

I have been nursing all day, and I think using my electric toothbrush while painfully massaging did the trick. I was freaking out earlier when my temp reached 100.6 but seems I am on the mend.