Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible to begin breast feeding at 6 months?

Default Is it possible to begin breast feeding at 6 months?

Hi, I may sound crazy for asking this but is it possible for me to start breast feeding my DD who is 6 months old? I tried to breast feed from the beginning but the nurses I had in the hospital were no help to me at all. I tried on my own when I came home but she never wanted to latch on. I'm not sure what I should do or where to start. At times I feel like I should of tried harder to get her to breast feed but she has been acting differently recently and has tried to suck on my breast through my shirt and it has made me think that maybe its not too late. But I need some help and advice as to where I should start and if it's even possible. TIA.

Default Re: Is it possible to begin breast feeding at 6 months?

It is certainly possible to start nursing an older baby. There are no guarantees, but if you don't try you'll never know whether or not you would have been successful. This link has useful techniques for getting a baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Have you been pumping all this time, or using formula? If you've been pumping and your milk supply is roughly equal to your baby's needs, it will be easier to restart nursing. If you're using formula, you're going to want to bring your supply up using a pump while you work on getting baby back to the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal, certainly possible. If you have not been pumping, you will need to do somethign called "relactating' as well as getting baby to nurse again. There are many different ways to approach relactating. That is what mommal is talking about with the pumping. You could also consider using a lactation aid, a tool moms who have nursed adopted children or struggled wiht low supply use a lot, which allows a baby who is nursing to be supplemented at the breast. There are many roads to try and goals to consider that you will discover as you go.

Thank you for the responses. I have contacted a lactation consultant in my area and I began fenugreek this AM and have been pumping every 2-3 hours. I'm glad to know its not to late. Better late then never. Haha. ;-)

Hello. I don't have any advice for you, I'm sorry, but I never knew you could "relactate." That is so cool! Good for you, I hope you are happy with breastfeeding.