Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething ?!?

Post Teething ?!?

My DD is currently 3.5 MO. she has always been BFed.

Since last week, her drooling has increased a lot, so much that if we dont wipe her off, she can get her torso wet within minutes. She chews on almost anything that comes near her mouth, and tries fit both her fists in her mouth, trying to chew on them. Not only does she chews, but also sucks vigorously. Luckily she hasnt started chewing on my nipples while feeding. i am wondering if these are signs of teething. If so, isnt it a bit early ?? She also has this period of shouting or screaming in evenings which werent there before. She doesnt seem uncomfortable or has tears in her eyes but just likes to take her voice to the highest pitch possible combined with fists in her mouth. Sometimes i cant make out if she is hungry or enjoying her newfound vocal capabilities

How soon can one expect teething ?? Most resources i found say around 5 Months..

Her nursing schedule hasnt changed much, and she gets fed on demand and since last week she has got only one bottle of EBM. normally she gets one every two or three days depending on my schedule. Recently she has also started rejecting the bottle. Last time we gave her a bottle, she drank only 1.5 oz in a period of 4 h (almost half her usual amount) and breastfed later at an increased frequency.

ANy comments are welcome.. TIA
    First Time Mom to A born on April 3rd 2012

Seven months and counting thanks to my family and this forum here.

Default Re: Teething ?!?

it could be teething. teeth start moving through the gums a lot sooner than they become visible. a friend of mine's baby had 2 teeth at 2 months! just keep offering to nurse every time you or she wants it, and go with the flow. as soon as you figure a pattern out, it changes!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Teething can really start at any time. It often begins around 3 months, though the teeth may not get close to the surface of the gums for several more months. My first kid started teething (drooling, gnawing, night-waking more often) at around 3 months but did not get her first tooth until 8 months.

The shrieking sounds like baby experimenting- happily!- with her new vocal skills.

Rejecting the bottle is very normal in a baby who is predominantly home with mom, and not getting bottles on a daily or frequent basis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my dd showed teething signs at around 3 months but didn't get her first tooth until 8 months. let's just say it's been a long road paved with much ibuprofen! try some cold teethers (I really like the gel ones you can freeze- they stay cold much longer).
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

thanks for the comments ladies...

the reason I asked abt her shrieking/shouting is that it changes from happy shrieks to hunger cries within matter of minutes. One minute she is shouting happily and suddenly starts crying. Am I missing her hunger cues? She chews on her hand all the time,so that obviously isn't the right cue. If only I could make out just before she starts crying....
    First Time Mom to A born on April 3rd 2012

Seven months and counting thanks to my family and this forum here.

I don't think you're missing your LO's hunger cues- it's just that an older baby they can decide that she wants to be fed right. now. and she knows that hunger cries are the fastest, most reliable way to get you to start unbuttoning your blouse. Why bother giving cute, subtle cues when a hungry shriek works instantaneously?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"