Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question re: pain (for a friend)

Default question re: pain (for a friend)

Thought I'd post this question for my friend, who is really trying to breastfeed her second LO, who is 2.5 weeks old. She has been having a lot of pain with feeding. Got the latch checked by LC, that seems good. She suspects thrush. Went to urgent care, Dr. didn't think it was thrush, thought she was getting an infection, so prescribed antibiotics. Another friend suggested looking at possible tongue tie. She's going to have the latch re-evaluated. Is there anything else that could be causing pain with feeding? I'm drawing a blank. Also, re: thrush....I don't want to doubt this Dr.'s skills or anything, but does thrush get misdiagnosed a lot? I just want to help arm her with whatever info I can. She's really struggling, and it seems like she really wants to make breastfeeding work. (and I want to help support her in that, since I'm a pretty big advocate for breastfeeding, myself!)
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: question re: pain (for a friend)

I think you have a good grasp of what the likely potential problems are: latch issues, thrush, or bacterial infection. It would help if we knew exactly what she was experiencing during nursing- it's common for the latch to look good while feeling bad. Can you convince her to post on the forum?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: question re: pain (for a friend)

great update: she went with her gut on still thinking it was thrush, and after the LC agreed with her, is getting meds for it. hope it helps her! (and I did refer her here!)
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com