Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk supply

Talking Increasing milk supply

About three weeks ago I had to have emergency surgery. I was told I was not going to be able to breastfeed until I was not taking any pain killers (I was prescribed codeine), which was about a week after my surgery. Throughout this time I had been pumping and dumping to try to keep my supply where it was. As the days passed, I was able to pump less and less milk. I went from pumping 5 oz from each breast to just 3 oz each and now am down to 2 oz. I have been pumping every two to three hours and between feedings as well as letting my baby nurse for as long as he wants. I am not nOticing any increase in my supply and have been supplementing with formula for the last two weeks. However, the formula has made my baby very constipated and I would like to take him off formula all together, just like he was before my surgery. I have tried fenugreek but didn't notice an increase in Supply either. I have to offer both breasts at each feeding so that he is a little satisfied and even then I sometimes still have to give him 2 Oz of formula so that he is completely satisfied. Is there anything else that anyone has tried that has proven to increase supply. Thanks

Default Re: Increasing milk supply

Hello claudia2316!
    i hope you are feeling better after your surgery.
    Not every doctor insists mothers pump and dump when pain killers are prescribed.
    But your doctor knows the details of your baby's particular health status, so maybe that is why the recommendation to pump and dump.
    So now you are in the process of re-building your supply,( btw, 2 ounces is the target amount!)
    So your supply is not below normal.
    Nurse every 2 hours around the clock
    Get into bed with baby, naked skin to naked skin.
    If you feel uncomfortable about not giving supplements, give the supplement first, 2 ounces or less, and then nurse.
    Your supply will increase /rebuild the more often you nurse the baby.
    infants nurse 10-12 times a day
    You are doing great!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Sorry you're in this situation. I had C-sections with both my kids and took oxycodone afterwards while nursing them from birth.

If you just keep nursing on demand it should come back up.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

This link covers how to wean from formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

If you're able to get 2 oz each time you pump, then I think you are probably good to cut formula out of your life today! As the PP said, 2 oz is about what the average mom needs for a feeding. If it's a hair low, all you really need to do is to keep switching baby back and forth from breast to breast (switch nursing) and allow the constant stimulation rebuild your supply. You may have a few very fussy days as baby realizes that he has to really work for his meals, and realizes that he's not going to get "topped off" with a bottle at the conclusion of a feeding. But that's not the worst price to pay for a rebuilt supply.

I'd really like to whoever told you to pump and dump. My understanding is that codeine does not require a mom to cease nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with the pp. I too had to have surgery and was given Horrible information about pumping and dumping.....however, I got the book medications and mothers milk and read each of the medications they gave me...THEY WERE PERFECTLY SAFE! I was so upset. Most of the time they will tell you to pump and dump as a "cya" ..plus some people are just too lazy to look information up! The kellymom website has a lot of medication information on it if you cant get the book.

Also, my supply took a large.hit and I have been taking fenugreek and its worked wonders