Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feeding formula & breastmilk

Default Re: feeding formula & breastmilk

Are you saying that you are only nursing two to three times per day, nursing once overnight and then pumping and bottle feeding for all additional feedings?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamat View Post
    Lots of issues in beginning so I was EP until last week. Now i'm nursing 2-3/day trying to get us both back into the swing of things. I'm pumping every 2-3hrs during the day. I get just enough for a feeding. I've been puming and nursing once during the night. Maybe it's my routine that needs to change....?

I agree you would very likely increase your pump output by increasing the frequency of your pumping sessions-but I am going to suggest a slightly different perspective just fyi.

If your baby has lived entirely on your ebm up until this week, and continues to get most of their nutrition that way, you obviously make plenty of milk by pumping and also it makes sense you would have nothing stored in that case. Just making enough to feed baby your breastmilk exclusively via pumping is pretty amazing, and gets harder and harder to do over time.

How is nursing going? Is it comfortable for you, and is baby able to get enough? If your baby is able to nurse effectively, I would suggest nursing more-way more, in fact, I would suggest trying to nurse only and stop supplementing- while you can, and fit in any pumping you do around the nursing.

Here is why. Usually, a baby is more effective at milk removal than pumping. So nursing more would be better than pumping for supply going forward. This is particularly urgent in your case, as you are going back to work so soon and will thus have to pump- rather than nurse- part of the day. The better milk production is/breastfeeding is going when you return to work, the more likely you will be able to keep production as needed, long term, after returning to work.

Also, since you have struggled with bfding and are only now getting baby onto the breast, I would suggest you consider if prolonging your maternity leave even a week or 2 is at all feasible. The long term health outcomes for both you and your child are so improved if you are able to breastfeed as long as you want, (and this is more likely if bfding is well established before retuning to work,) I think there is actually a medical basis for this. There is certainly a financial basis, as, if you are eventually unable to bf or ebf, formula costs add up very quickly.

If it was me, and the choice was between getting nursing at the breast established great now but having my child get a little formula the first week or so back at work, and going back to work with enough bmilk to feed my baby while I was away but only because I am still primarily pumping rather than nursing, I would choose the former, because health wise, being able to nurse long term is so important vs. the possible issues caused by a little temporary formula. Hopefully you will not have to make that choice but that is my thinking.

These suggestions all assume your baby is capable of effective nursing.

No freezer stash. Only nursing 2-3/day. Bottle feeding the rest of the time. He started taking 4oz every 3 hrs and I was able to keep up, but he hit a growth spurt at the same time I decided to try and nurse again. So, barely keeping up with him now.

Nursing is difficult. I'm going to contact an LC. Having same latch issues we had in the beginning and he is at the breast FOREVER and still acts likes he's starving. I pump after he nurses and I usually get a 1-2oz total from both breasts combined. i know he's getting milk. It's on his face when I take him off and i see it in the corner of his lips when he's on the breast.

I plan to pump at work 2-3 times. I have an electric pump I've been using. Do I need a manual pump also?

I financially can't take more time off from work for maternity leave.

I hope you can see an LC and they are able to help you get nursing comfortable, as this is so important for a mom's happiness with nursing. I understand being concerend about baby getting enough, this is a very typical hurdle when mom has had to bottle feed, because bottle feeding, even when neccesary, throws so may wrenches into the works when it comes to baby nursing effectively and moms confidence in herself and her baby. Just some thoughts-

1) Babies will often want to nurse and nurse and often do not appear satisfied even if they have gotten "enough." This is because comfort feeding is a huge & normal part of nursing for most babies. You may be able to tell more about how much baby is taking in if your LC does a before and after nursing weight check, but remember these are just a snapshot of that one nursing session. More than one would give you more info.

2) 4 ounces would be on the slightly high side for a normal feeding. Babies notoriously take more from a bottle than they ever would at the breast. Very generally speaking, A baby this age would normally nurse around 10 times or more a 24 hour day and needs between 25-35 ounces per day (some sources say 19-25 ounces per day) depending on the baby. So that would translate to 2-3 ounces per nursing session typically, intake will normally vary session to session.

Pumping 1-2 ounces after nursing is alot to pump, it certainly does not indicate any issues, except MAYBE that baby is still not nursing effectively but still, it could be totally normal to be able to pump something even after a great nursing session. Normally, lactating breasts are never truly 'draned."

Have you been doing all this eping with a personal use electric pump (Like a medela p&s?) That is amazing. I do not know why you would need a manual if your pump is still effective. You may want to learn pumping tricks like breast compressions (these may help with the long nursing sessions as well) or hand expression, but I think your pumping ability sounds very good, you could probably give pumping lessons at this point.
    How often you need to pump when at work depends on how long the separations are, including commute. I think the idea at this early age is to go no more than 3 hours between pumping sessions at first and then to adjust as needed.

And don't forget making sure baby is fed in a breastfeeing supportive way while you are separated. See: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/

So he is nursing 2-3 times a day?

Is it possible to just nurse and not bottle feed?

That will make life easier. Pumping/bottle feeding is exhausting.

How old is your lo?

This is a good link for weaning from bottle feeding:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

I'm trying to gradually nurse more, but with the bad latch I'm having nipple pain and try to give them a rest when possible. He's 7 wks old.

He's having watery poops. I can hear his BMs from the other room.And he really seems to struggle with he has a BM. I think he's not getting enough hindmilk? Maybe I should pump 1st then nurse to make sure he's getting more hindmilk until we become more effective at nursing?

Left a message with the IBCLC. Waiting to hear back.

Not sure why you are concerned about foremilk vs hindmilk watery poops are not going to hurt your baby and extra pumping would only make any imbalance in this situation worse. If you think a forceful letdown is causing baby to clamp or other issues at the breast I would suggest you go to Kelly mom.com And search forceful letdown she has an excellent article on the many ways to help baby deal with the flow all your milk is good for baby and the milk changes very gradually through out the feeding

I read something that said the watery stools may be from ineffective nursing causing the baby to ge too much foremilk. I was concerned with my LO having irritating or uncomfortable bowel movements. I may have forceful letdown on one side. I'll check out kellymom.com. My other side has a pretty slow flow when I pump and I'm smaller on that side.

Poop can vary quite a bit in a healthy bf baby. My sons stool was loose, yellow and seedy often but changed a lot. Sometimes it was brown or green, sometimes thicker or thinnner.

Sometimes babies pass a lot of gas or have very loud bm, their digestive tract is still immature and this is normal.

If you do have a forceful let down or oversupply you can work with that. The kellymom sit has good info on both.