Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding formula & breastmilk

Default feeding formula & breastmilk

I have a 7 wk old. Not sure I'm going to have a full day's worth of feedings stored up before I go back to work. Will it be to hard on his digestive system to supplement with 1 or 2 formula bottles during the day?

Default Re: feeding formula & breastmilk

When do you go back? Have you been pumping? How long are you going to be away each day? Why are doubting that you would be able to pump enough for one day?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, I have the same questions. Also what have you planned for pumping when at work.?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The PPs have good questions. But JIC you really don't have enough milk stored up, 1-2 formula bottles per day are definitely better than having baby starve! Just be aware that some babies have trouble with formula- they can be sensitive/allergic to something in the formula, and it's fairly common for formula to cause issues with constipation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you just worried about that first day?

I totally dropped the ball on getting enough pumped milk ready for my first day back at work. It didn't even cross my mind until less than a week before I was going back. I didn't have a freezer stash or anything. I worked really hard for a few days and was able to scrape together about 6-7 ounces, then I mixed up one bottle of formula and told daycare to use it as a last resort. I nursed him at daycare that morning right before I left for work. That, plus the milk spread into 3 bottles, was enough to get him through that first day without using the formula bottle.

My suggestions would be, spread your milk out into many small bottles and if you feel like you have to use formula to get by make it very clear to your DCP that they are to be used last and only if absolutely necessary. In the meantime, try to sneak in a pumping session while baby is sleeping to get a an extra ounce here and there. Good Luck!
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Are you just worried about that first day?

I totally dropped the ball on getting enough pumped milk ready for my first day back at work. It didn't even cross my mind until less than a week before I was going back. I didn't have a freezer stash or anything. I worked really hard for a few days and was able to scrape together about 6-7 ounces, then I mixed up one bottle of formula and told daycare to use it as a last resort. I nursed him at daycare that morning right before I left for work. That, plus the milk spread into 3 bottles, was enough to get him through that first day without using the formula bottle.

My suggestions would be, spread your milk out into many small bottles and if you feel like you have to use formula to get by make it very clear to your DCP that they are to be used last and only if absolutely necessary. In the meantime, try to sneak in a pumping session while baby is sleeping to get a an extra ounce here and there. Good Luck!
    with all of this!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

IN the mean time, even if you are back monday, if you get up and pump every morning between now and then I am banking on you being able to make enough. Please tell us how long you will be away from baby so you can get a clear picture of how much is enough.

Way too lazy for formula

Lots of issues in beginning so I was EP until last week. Now i'm nursing 2-3/day trying to get us both back into the swing of things. I'm pumping every 2-3hrs during the day. I get just enough for a feeding. I've been puming and nursing once during the night. Maybe it's my routine that needs to change....?

So you have zero freezer stash? Well even if you are just pumping enough it's all supply and demand. So if you demand more you make more. I recommend getting up before you child (like when you 1st wake to pee) and pumping then. That time of days usually yields the most in the least amount of time and even if the baby wakes a half an hour later your baby will make more for the baby. Is your 1st nursing session of the day right when baby wakes? Can you get up and pump and then feed at the breast when baby wakes?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So you have zero freezer stash? Well even if you are just pumping enough it's all supply and demand. So if you demand more you make more. I recommend getting up before you child (like when you 1st wake to pee) and pumping then. That time of days usually yields the most in the least amount of time and even if the baby wakes a half an hour later your baby will make more for the baby. Is your 1st nursing session of the day right when baby wakes? Can you get up and pump and then feed at the breast when baby wakes?
    agree. you can do it. i did not have much when i initially went back and I now have a supply that i dont know what to do with since my lo doesnt take bottles at dc anymore.

an oz here and there adds up and soon you will have enough.

pump after the baby eats. i have woken up at 4 am to get a session in for a few days. your milk production is highest in those early hours. so even if your lo wants to nurse right after it would not be a big. i know that sounds rough waking up that early but i found it not bad, it was only for a few days and it was worth it for me. i had the pump all set up and ready to go at night.

also for when you are at work, do you have a pumping bra? i found it super helpful and i could always add in pumping sessions in my comute which made my stress level much lower.

just think about your schedule and see what you can switch around.

sorry, i have to run but i can help out later.

good lucK!!

congrats on getting back to the breast by the way!!!