Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Clip or Not to Clip?

Default Re: To Clip or Not to Clip?

She nursed pretty well today but, I ended up having to supplement with 2 oz of formula around 6 pm. My nipples are still creased when she releases although, it doesn't feel like an alligator is clamping down on them when she latches now! Wondering when or if I'll see a lot of improvement with both her satisfaction at the breast and my supply...

Also, oddly enough, the ENT didn't recomment ANY exercises but, I think I may do them anyway. At least in part.

If you are still having any latch pain or milk transfer issues, you want to keep well on top of that. If you have excercises to do, I would certainly do them. What could it hurt? Remember that releasing tt is a "new" intervention (not really, it was done routinely until the 1940s when formula feeding became the norm.) But for a long time, this intervention fell away, and particularly as a BREASTFEEDING intervention it fell out of favor for decades. So some doctors are just not up on this as a breastfeeding intervention, so do your research. It is hard to find info on excercises online (at least I am having difficulty) but as I recall a mom on here found info from Dr. Kotlaw. http://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles.html
    Also, have you seen an IBCLC?
    Why did you supplement? Too painful to nurse yet again? Concerned baby is not getting enough? Be really careful. Unneeded supplements will harm milk supply. Actually, even needed supplements harm supply, you have to pump to make up the difference, and it can snowball, and get to be a real drag.

Yes, I see a IBCLC regularly. She's the one who spotted the posterior tongue tie. I'm supplementing because my baby cries most of the day and is never satisfied from a feed. I have a 23 month old who needs love, attention, breakfast, lunch, etc When I give my 2.5 week old a bottle, she relaxes, belches and sleeps. She has never done that at the breast. Never. I have no clue what else to do but feed my hungry baby. She also lost 15 oz of her birth weight.

So glad the pain has improved! I'm also still working on getting a good latch from my baby, whose TT was released on Wednesday - I still have creased nipples on the right side, but the left is almost perfect now. I'm doing the exercises, because like Meg said, it can't hurt! (PM me if you would like me to cut/paste my exercises for you.) It can take some time to retrain a baby's latch, once they've gotten used to latching a certain way.

You could start weaning off that supplement slowly. Formula is harder to digest than breastmilk, which is one reason it tends to just conk babies out. However, it doesn't need to be all or nothing right now - you could slowly back off and give her smaller bottles without giving up the bottle entirely. Feeding your baby is very important, couldn't agree more, but it's true that supplementation can be a slippery slope. Does your LC have a plan for you to get off the supplements? You might find it reassuring to work with her on this issue, rather than just trying to drop the supplementation overnight, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am sorry i if my post was in anyway offensive I just meant that supplementing means mom has to pump as well or risk losing milk supply. Of course your older child needs care it is certainly difficult when there are breast feeding issues and mom has other responsibities. If you have friends or family around to help? A friend of mine just hired A mothes helper to help with her older kids during this difficult newborn period cheaper than a sitter.

@JoMo- I pm'd you. Thanks!

@lllmeg- I didn't mean to sound defensive! You didn't offend me at all. It's just that, gah..i SO KNOW that supplementing is a slippery slope. I went down it with my first daughter (who was also TT but, never got clipped) It's just that when my nerves are fried and I haven't slept in days and I'm an emotional wreck because I feel like a failure in the bfing dept, it's really hard to talk myself down from the ledge. Especially when I know that a bottle will help her sleep and I can sleep, or spend time with my toddler or get dinner ready (or post on these forums). Working with my LC to wean. It's just 2-4 oz per 24 hours but, she's clearly addicted to that nighttime full belly already!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loumom View Post
    It's just 2-4 oz per 24 hours but, she's clearly addicted to that nighttime full belly already!
    This is such a small amount, it should be really easy to wean off of. When you're ready, we have great resources on this, or I'm sure your LC can help too. I am in the same boat, so I understand why it's so hard (nursing a TT'd baby in a sling = OUCH!!! I can only nurse in like, one position, or my nipples end up literally bloody).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes! Same here. Clutch hold only for me or it's brutal.