Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Clip or Not to Clip?

Default To Clip or Not to Clip?

So, yesterday, I had an appt with an ENT (referred by my IBCLC) to get my daughter's PTT snipped. After talking to the ENT, I backed out. He made it sound so scary! "Quite a bit of blood, tenderness, tongue exercises in post care". He told me that he thought in her case, things would improve and to just keep at it. In his opinion, as her mouth grew, breastfeeding would get better for both of us.

The issue I have with this is that I already have a low supply (she's 2.5 weeks old and we've been dealing with bad latching, long feedings, etc) I don't think we can afford to "wait it out".

Meanwhile, the IBCLC still thinks I should get it snipped.

I rescheduled and we're suppose to go in tomorrow to have it done. I'm really nervous but, I feel like we're on the road to major supplementation if I don't do this.

Thoughts?

Default Re: To Clip or Not to Clip?

I don't know what I would do. I had my frenulum between my lip and front top two teeth (think Letterman gap) done when I was in middle school in office. While I think the description is accurate with the blood, your doing something on the face/head area... it bleeds... a lot. That just comes with the territory sometimes. Tender, yes but not unbearable. I wouldn't think it would be any different than a circumcision at this age. Tongue exercise? What are they? I'm just curious. How do you get a 2.5 wk old to do them? Sounds somewhat unnecessary but I'm not expert in this area.

I'd probably do it. Especially if your having milk transfer problems. If that doesn't get corrected it could cause a lot more headache than the clipping.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Just had my 9 day old baby's tongue clipped this morning. It seems to be bugging her a bit now, but nothing horrible. The tongue exercises are no big deal, honestly. The procedure itself was incredibly fast and easy - probably five minutes in the office and she was done! I would definitely do it under the circumstances you describe. I think your ENT may be overly cautious, just my 2 cents. (ETA: I also would not compare to circ'ing; for one thing, it doesn't require any anesthesia, just a little topical lidocane. I think my baby was more upset by having tools in her mouth than the actual clipping.)
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 18th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I don't think there is any comparison to tongue tie clip and a circumcision. There are relatively few nerve endings and blood vessels in the lingual frenulum:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ton...ents-and-drugs

In foreskin there are many nerve endings and fine touch receptors. Not to mention possible complications, including death.
    Ok so that would mean it would hurt less, right? And philosophy on circumcision aside, babies do fine with it more often than not. So that would mean a PTT clipping likely wouldn't be worse but better.

(Side note: I didn't think circumcision required anthesia either. But I don't want to hijack her thread)
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

My daughter's posterior tongue tie was clipped at 7 weeks. She was in a little restraining jacket and no anesthesia so she could nurse right afterward. She bled a little bit and did cry (she is very sensitive) the doctor said she was the 2nd most sensitive baby she's ever met so I assume most babies wouldn't be as upset. But I don't regret having it clipped since it was supposed to help her nurse better. I didn't really notice a difference but I know many moms do notice a very good difference. The doctor (also an IBCLC) said that if you use anesthesia then they are too numb to nurse afterward for comfort so really it's generally preferable not to anesthetize and just put the baby right on the breast after surgery.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yeah, my only comment wrt circumcision was that it is probably quite a bit LESS of a big deal to get a TT clipped than that. I think most doctors use local anesthesia for circs, but I'm certainly not an expert. At any rate, getting a TT clipped is very minor.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Clipping can certainly sound scary. And yes some excersises and retraining may be needed so baby can learn to latch & suckle effectively post clip. But since tt is a known barrier to effective breastfeeding, personally I would never consider for one second not having my baby clipped if they had a diagnosed tt and it was affecting baby's ability to latch or transfer milk effectively. Because not being able to breastfeed or breastfeed effectively is such a serious health issue.

Keep in mind that while your baby is tongue-tied, that it may be impacting your milk transfer. She's unable to get full flow because of her compromised ability to suckle fully. That in turn affects your production because it's supply and demand. She's demanding less (through no fault of her own), so you'll produce less.

It's really hard being a Momma and choosing to do things with our babies that are scary but for the best. X-rays, medications, etc.... The sooner it's done, the sooner she can heal and you'll both be happier.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Well, it's done! Wasn't bad at all. Nursed like a champ afterwards (painlessly, I might add) And now she is sleeping. So happy I went through with it. Thanks for the support.

Wonderful!!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.