Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Graceful Weaning

Default Graceful Weaning

Whenever I thought about how weaning my LO would go, I always pictured tears and lots of negotiating. My LO turned 2 in June and was still nursing 2x/day. After some nap time struggles, we took his crib down and were able to get him to nap w/out nursing. Cutting out the nursing wasn't the initial goal, but since he went for it, I took advantage. A week or two later I tried to get him to sleep w/out nursing and he made it clear that he was not ok with that. A few days later I tried again and he was perfectly fine with it. We laid in his bed and he played with his nighttime toys and we giggled and laughed until he cuddled up to me and fell asleep. I was definitely surprised that there were no tears and that we were having such a good time before going to bed. I wasn't convinced that he wouldn't want to nurse the next day, but we followed the same routine and he didn't ask to nurse. It's been a few weeks now and I'm still surprised at how our weaning was so peaceful. Our nursing relationship started out very uncertain, but ended very gracefully to which I'm thankful for. My LO shows me on a daily basis how opinionated he can be so I'm happy that we both stopped nursing when the time was right. Thanks to all you ladies who helped us get here and supported us when we needed it. This beautiful relationship with my LO has ened, but I couldn't be more grateful for the experience.

Default Re: Graceful Weaning

thanks for sharing this with us.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Congratulations! What a wonderful story.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

thank you for sharing this. moms-to-be sometimes are put off by nursing b/c they fear the weaning process. it is good to hear that a mother can wean with grace and dignity.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thanks for sharing this. My son is only 8.5 months but I've wondered about the weaning process. I want to nurse past age 1 but I don't think I want to nurse until he self-weans if that's at age 3 or 4, just personally not comfortable with it. Ideally I'd like to wean somewhere around age 2 like you did. Nice to know it can go smoothly and doesn't need to be traumatic for the child.

I really didn't know how to go about weaning or when it would happen, but it always seemed so far away. Once he turned one and got older, it all became extremely easy so the fact that he's 2 and done is still surreal to me and my DH. I very clearly remember starting this journey with a million questions and doubts, that it's nice to look back and see how far we've come. In the beginning I had severe cracks and my LC asked my to stick with it for 6 weeks and I remember thinking that it was an eternity. My DH would try to help my showing me videos on YouTube about how to hold and latch the baby. He also would let me squeeze his hand as hard as I could while my LO would latch on and the pain subsided. Breastfeeding can be quite the introduction to parenting; you don't think you can do it, but in the end you accomplish it for your LO.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!