Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some virtual hugs...

Default Need some virtual hugs...

I have struggled to breast feed my daughter from day 1. I'm proud to say that we are still BFing at 22 months- through blood, sweat,& tears. This weekend however I have been pumping at work (every 4 hours x3, I work 2 12-hr shifts every weekend) & am barely making any milk. My goal is to get to 2 years but I'm afraid I will dry up before her 2nd birthday. I take domperidone, fenugreek, mothers milk tea. My daughter goes to the breast even when I know there is no milk so it is still a big comfort to her. I'm just sad that my supply is dwindling- we enjoy nursing so much! I just need some hugs of support.

Thanks in advance for your words of support & encouragement. I had no idea when we started nursing how big a role it would play in our lives & it has been my greatest accomplishment.

Default Re: Need some virtual hugs...

i am so impressed that you're still pumping at work at 22 months! i just can't even imagine the dedication that takes. :s::

most people say you can pump wean at 12 months and still nurse on demand when you're together; have you tried that? is there a reason you need to leave milk for her while you're away? i assume she's eating a lot of other foods & drinks by now.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Could it be the pump? I think most professional grade pumps are only meant for about a year of use for someone working full time. Pump weaning is certainly doable at this point, but what about trying to rent a hospital grade pump (if you are not already using one, of course) for these last two months if you are really committed to pumping?

You've done an amazing job making it this far. Here's a hug from me - even though this little image creeps me out, and make sure to give yourself a hug too. You've worked so hard and should be proud of that!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

***HUG***
    I am with you. I pumped for my daughter almost 24 months, up until last week when she decided she is no longer intersted in pumped milk when I am gone.
    She still loves to breastfeed when I am with her, however.

Towards the end I was only pumping a total of 3 to 4 ounces a day. That amount would flux with my menstral cycle. Can your pumping supply be due to your cycle?

I wouldn't worry about the amount you pump at this point. You and your LO have done so amazing well so far!

Just go with the flow, as they say.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Thank you, mamas! I just really needed some hugs & you all make me feel better. I'll keep offering as DD needs to BF & I'll go with the flow as you said. We have just worked so hard to get to this point. And I am proud of us!

It's so nice to know others understand how I feel. So thank you.

You've done great and I don't see a reason why you couldn't still be nursing at 2 yrs no matter what you get while you pump at work. I quit pumping at 15 mos and am nursing my 37 mo old (with barely any milk now and we struggled with supply and a host of other problems, too).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.