Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby not getting enough?

Default Re: Baby not getting enough?

Yes, I meant LLL leader. I scheduled an appointment with a IBCLC at the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully she can help. Baby seems to be doing great. She is pooping more frequently and peeing. Still not exactly where she needs to be, but we are getting there.

My baby is a sleepy baby. She does not wake up on her own to feed. Is this normal? She does wake up in the middle of the night, but during the day she will go long stretches 3 hours without waking up. I'm trying to keep her on a 'schedule' somewhat so that my milk supply is plentiful. Do I wake her up every hour or let her sleep. I've noticed if I do wake her up she isn't very responsive at the breast. She doesn't suck long or hard and just falls asleep. I do all the 'tricks' to keep her awake. If I wait until she wakes up on her own she nurses very well and stays at the breast longer. I'm usually having to switch feed.

Also, my left breast seems to make less milk than my right. She seems to gulp more with the right one than the left one. Should I always start her on the left breast to encourage more supply in that breast when feeding or follow the feed one side, switch to other side and at next feed start on the side she ended on?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. This is my fourth baby, but I haven't nursed for 8 years. I feel like I'm a first time mom.

My baby is a sleepy baby. She does not wake up on her own to feed. Is this normal? She does wake up in the middle of the night, but during the day she will go long stretches 3 hours without waking up. I'm trying to keep her on a 'schedule' somewhat so that my milk supply is plentiful. Do I wake her up every hour or let her sleep. I've noticed if I do wake her up she isn't very responsive at the breast. She doesn't suck long or hard and just falls asleep. I do all the 'tricks' to keep her awake. If I wait until she wakes up on her own she nurses very well and stays at the breast longer. I'm usually having to switch feed.
    it's very typical for a baby this age to be very sleepy, particularly if there were any meds given to you during labor even an epidural. Most babies get over the sleepiness and 'wake up' by one or two weeks.

Most people will say to keep to a schedule and nurse every two-three hours around the clock. And there is nothing incorrect about that advice at this age, as it will result in baby nursing frequently often enough which is the paramount point. But I have personal experience wiht the fact that a baby is much more likely to nurse well if baby is waking on their own schedule. This is why I suggest you encourage baby to nurse very frequently when awake and, as long as baby is nursing frequently enough overall and output and weight gain continues to go up as expected, to not stress too much if baby takes the occasional longer break. Basically, make it up as you go, with a combo of cue feeding and waking baby as needed. Understand that the more frequently your baby nurses overall, the more milk your baby will get and the better for your supply. Also, babies CAN and DO nurse/or cue to nurse right in their sleep. This video is about nursing in a laid back position but it also demonstrates very well how mom can offer a very sleepy baby the breast and baby will nurse fine. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html Nights and days are meaningless demarcations to a baby this young, that will change.

Also, my left breast seems to make less milk than my right. She seems to gulp more with the right one than the left one. Should I always start her on the left breast to encourage more supply in that breast when feeding or follow the feed one side, switch to other side and at next feed start on the side she ended on?
    Many moms have production asymmetry like this, which may or may not lessen as time goes on. At this point, I would suggest just nurse as you like, aiming for both breasts to get about equal attention, as the only real danger is if she actually begins to refuse that breast.

Okay, baby is pooping and peeing. Today she's had 2 pee diapers (pretty much clear and lots of it) and 4 poopy ones. So we are progressing to where she needs to be. Her poops are bright green now and somewhat mucousy. Why haven't they turned to the yellowish/seedy ones yet?

I'm seeing a IBCLC tomorrow for her latch problems. Hopefully we figure it out and I can get some relief. My nipples are SORE!!

I'm taking fenugreek and mother's milk tea and belive my supply is boosted. She seems to 'gulp' more at each feed. How long do I need to continue taking fenugreek and drinking tea? Will my supply diminish if I stop taking them?

I'm somewhat concerned. Baby does not wake up on her own. It is rare she wakes up crying to feed. If I don't wake her up she sleeps soundly. I've let her go as long as 3 hours before waking her up but no longer, so I don't know how long she would sleep without me interferring. Is this normal? Sometimes when I wake her up to feed it is impossible to get her to stay awake at the breast. Tonight I fed her on one side and had to constanty tickle her, rub her back, tickle her cheek etc to get her to finish feeding. After 20 minutes I burped her and tried to get her to wake up to eat the other side. NOTHING I did would get her to wake up enough to latch. I even took a cold washcloth to her. So I let her sleep. She slept for 2 hours and woke up on her own. I'm wondering why she isn't waking up on her own. Should that be a worry for me or is that normal for some newborns? She likes to cluster feed...for like 2 hours straight switch feeding in the middle of the night, but during the day she sleeps soundly. It is frustrating. Wondering if I should be worried that she sleeps so soundly.

(I just saw your post above after typing the above question. No medications given. I delivered completely natural. Only in the hospital for about 1 hour when she came 3 pushes later. Just really concerned she is so sleepy. Worried if I follow her cues and let her sleep that she won't get enough and my supply will diminish. Just worried about her poopy diapers and pee diapers being where they should be to indicate she is getting enough. She isn't quite where she should be and so I'm worried about letting her sleep. She almost always falls asleep at the breast when I feed...even if she wakes on her own. So trying to nurse her a ton when she is awake doesn't work...she is rarely awake. Just hoping that isn't an indicator that something is wrong. I wouldn't say she is listless or sick looking. Her output is getting better too, so I think she is getting enough. She isn't complaining about wanting more...except in the night she seems to be ravenous and can't nurse enough. Wish that was during the day instead of middle of the night.

Again, thank you so much for answering my questions. I'm grateful to have the support and encouragement. Having someone validate my concerns is helpful. Thank you for volunteering your time.
    Last edited by @llli*kadyns.mom; July 19th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

if baby is pooping that much no need to even worry about pees. Trust me, no baby poops that much and does not pee. The pee is being hidden by the poops.

It is very early days ans I have no idea if you ever "needed" the fenugreek or the tea. Keep taking them for now and see what IBCLC says.

Green mucousy stools could mean: Poop is still transitioning (fine) OR your have boosted your supply so much you now have a bit of an oversupply (fine, just stop taking the supplements) or, your baby poops green. Some do.

So I let her sleep. She slept for 2 hours and woke up on her own. I'm wondering why she isn't waking up on her own. Should that be a worry for me or is that normal for some newborns? She likes to cluster feed...for like 2 hours straight switch feeding in the middle of the night, but during the day she sleeps soundly. It is frustrating. Wondering if I should be worried that she sleeps so soundly.
    But she did wake on her own-after 2 hours-am I reading that right? The sleepiness is only an issue if it is causing baby to not nurse frequently enough to get enough milk. And her increasing output suggests that is not the case. Any signs of jaundice? that would cause excess sleepiness, but again it may be fine-it is common for week old newborns to be quite sleepy and actually since its not from delivery drugs just may be your baby's normal.

She isn't complaining about wanting more...except in the night she seems to be ravenous and can't nurse enough. Wish that was during the day instead of middle of the night.
    I get you, this will get better I promise!

Thanks lllmeg! I know it will get better, but when hormones are all over the place and I'm crying at everything it seems the world will end when I can't get more than 3 hours of sleep...on a good day.

"The sleepiness is only an issue if it is causing baby to not nurse frequently enough to get enough milk"

I have not given her the opportunity to wake on her own. I've woken her up because her output wasn't good and I wanted to make sure she was getting enough. Now that she is having good output, I could see what she does on her own, I'm just really paranoid that she won't get the 10-12 feedings if I let her sleep. It is a struggle to get her to wake up every 2 1/2 hours. If I let her sleep she could go every 3-4 and then my milk supply would diminish. That is why I'm concerned she is sleepy. I've never had a baby that didn't wake up almost every 2hours to eat on their own.

She is now not latching in the night. She will scream and scream and scream and the nipple is right in her mouth. If she does finally latch if the milk isn't right there she comes off and screams and screams. I tried to get her to latch and she just wouldn't do it. So finally, because I was so tired and cranky, I gave her 1 oz of my expressed milk (from a previous pumping). I don't like to give her bottles, but seriously I couldn't take the no latching thing anymore. It seems that my milk supply is low in the middle of the night. Sometimes in the day she will only eat one side and I can't get her to stay awake to eat the other side...that was this morning at 6am. I don't know how to get her to latch in the middle of the night. I can't go hours on end with a screaming baby that refuses to latch. I take her off and console her, but as soon as she settles down and I put her to the breast she immediately starts screaming. Not sure how to deal with that.

If she only eats one side, should I pump the other side? I'd rather have an oversupply then not enough.

I know I'm stressing about this more than I probably need to, but because I've had milk supply issues in the past I want to make sure that she is getting enough and my supply will be plentiful for months to come. After our crazy night...pp..she went to sleep at 7am. I decided to pump and did at 7:15am for 15 minutes. I pumped 2 ounces total. Actually not much more on the breast she didn't take than the one she did. She woke up on her own (rare) at 8am. She was doing the screaming not wanting to latch thing again. She finally latched and I switched nursed for an hour and a half. Every time she'd come off the breast she would scream and cry until I could get her latched again on the second. My letdown takes FOREVER. She actually nursed for over 8 minutes and still no letdown or gulping of milk. I finally had a letdown and she gulped for about 10-15 seconds and then started crying immediately. I just kept switch nursing, but letdown was slow on both breasts and she only gulps for about 10 seconds before sucking more with no swallowing. It takes another 3-5 minutes for another letdown. Is this normal? She finally went to sleep on my breast, not sure if it is because she got enough or because she was worn out from trying so hard. The lack of swallowing and taking so long worries me. I just remember with my first two I made TONS of milk. As soon as letdown happened they would suck and swallow for 5 minutes or more. Then I could pump after they ate and get over 6 ounces combined. Just worried that I won't get to nurse exclusively and the milk will slowly go away and I'll end up having to formula feed. Honestly, after last night and the crazy morning I'm ready to throw in the towel. This shouldn't be so difficult!!

Thanks for listening.

I dont know if you have tried this....

I had problems keeping my LO latched too, and was always doubting the amount of milk she got. Ohh yaa, I had a tough time keeping her awake during the feeds. My hospital LC gave a suggestion of trying massage my breast using the C-hold slowly every few seconds during the entire feeding, that way she will be awake because the nipple keeps moving in her mouth and might get some milk when flow is slow, encouraging her to keep sucking.

Thats how i fed her for first few weeks..

hope this helps ...
    First Time Mom to A born on April 3rd 2012

Seven months and counting thanks to my family and this forum here.

It is fine to give a bottle if your baby will not nurse. Of course! Rule number 1 when there are breatfeeding issues is, feed the baby. Rule number 2 is, keep up your milk supply, which you are doing by pumping as needed, and rule number 3 is, get help. I think you are seeing an IBCLC today?

I know you are a very experienced mom, try to recall that this is VERY early days. Newborns are exhausting no matter how they are beign fed but of course when there are bfding issues that piles on the stress and exhaustion. Many, many, many moms have big struggles in the early weeks and go on to nurse happily for as long as they like.

Your description of nursing your oldest two sounds like you had a huge OVERSUPPLY. It is highly unusual to nurse a baby and then pump 6 ounces! The typical amount a mom with an ESTABLISHED milk supply who is nursing around the clock to get per pumping session pumping is 1/2 to 2 ounces. Your baby is only a week or so old so your milk production is not even totally established yet, it is still increasing, it increases for the fist several weeks.

You have worries, namely, baby not latching well and the not great output. But I see nothing that indicates your supply is a concern. Stress & pain will inhibit letdown and many moms have no letdown sensation (and it can vary from baby to baby.) It is good you are watching how baby nurses but remember she is very new to this too and is just learning, plus every baby nurses differently. I suggest to not compare her to the memories of your older kids behavior at the breast.

Yes, I need to stop comparing her to my other two. Because I had issues with the third, that experience has made me paranoid about supply issues. I'm a BIG worrier. I'm sure you can tell that with my posts. LOL

So, I saw the IBCLC today and found out a few helpful things. One, my baby is a textbook nurser. She and I are doing everything right. I have montgomery tubercles...HUGE ones...around my nipples. So while my nipples are average size, the tubercles make them larger. So in essence it is the really large nipple that my sweet Kadyn is having trouble latching on to. Her mouth is just too tiny. She is opening really wide and sucks well. I seem to have a really forceful letdown and so it seems that she is pulling back to slow the flow and losing the latch a bit. She is also pinching my nipple to help slow the flow too. That is why I have the crease on my nipple. She is NOT tongue tied and doesn't appear to have any mouth issues. She is transferring milk well. We weighed her at the beginning and again after. The scale showed she wasn't transferring milk that well, but she pooped right before being weighed so that is a factor. The LC said she didn't think there were transfer problems. She thinks my supply sounds adequate, but she said that I should keep a close eye on diaper outputs and have her weighed again. She was weighed on Tuesday at 7lbs 14oz and today she weighed in at 8lbs. They are different scales she was weighed on so it isn't completely accurate, but at least she is gaining. She seems to be on track to gain her birth weight back.

The LC said I should continue with the supplements for now just until her one month check-up and make sure everything is okay. She said she isn't really sure that I need them, but she didn't want me to change too many things since what I'm doing seems to be working right now. I feel a bit better about nursing because of this website and the great help and advice given as well as the LC advice. I'm stressing out too much. I just need to relax and feed my baby. I will probably have nipple pain and a few latch issues until her mouth is bigger and she can handle the flow of milk a bit better. Otherwise, I should be able to breastfeed her successfully.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll be back if I have anymore questions. This is a great resource.

Another question!

Hopefully this isn't too much info for anyone. I've had some major diarrhea. I'm taking 3 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day as well as drinking mother's milk tea 3 times a day. My daughter's output increased after doing this. I'm not sure if her output would have increased anyhow or if I increased my supply with the herbs and she was finally getting enough milk to increase her output. Thing is since I've not been feeling well and having uterine contractions more I went online to see if fenugreek caused these symptoms. It sure does.

I'm not really liking this and wondering if it could also be causing baby GI problems. She isn't too happy after feeding and seems to be really gassy and complains. I want my supply to remain, but I don't want the side effects of the fenugreek. The IBCLC suggested I continue them until her one month check just to make sure everything was going right. I'm not sure I want to deal with this for one month. Curious if anyone else has had these issues and if they lessen or will continue until I quit taking the fenugreek. Can I lower the dose and still get some benefit? Once it has boosted my supply will it remain level when I stop taking the fenugreek?

Thanks in advance for the wonderful advice.