Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 1/2 months old, what's average?

Default 12 1/2 months old, what's average?

Hi Mamas,

This is my first post, so hello everyone!

My little girl turned one about two weeks ago, and she nurses 7-8 times a day. Would you say this is average for this age? And at what age does it become more like 2-4 times?

I'm asking because since becoming a nursing mother, my cycles have been shorter than they ever were, and I've read that hormones become more normal when one nurses less than 4x a day. I'm just concerned with how all of this affects my fertility.

Thank you!

Default Re: 12 1/2 months old, what's average?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making it to a year of nursing, and then surpassing that achievment!

There is a really wide variation in what is "average" for year-old babies. Some of them nurse like newborns (10-12 sessions/day) some of them are nursing 7-8 times a day, some are nursing just a few times a day, and some are completely weaned. My kids were both generally nursing 8-10 times per day at a year, and both continued to do so until they transitioned to eating larger quantities of solids at around 14-15 months. Both of them had little interest in solids and remained predominantly breastfed until around 14-15 months, so it makes sense that they needed a lot of nursing sessions. I didn't get down to 2-4 sessions per day until my kids were over 2 years- but again, there is a huge variation in what is normal when you get into toddler nursing!

How short are your cycles? Are you charting? What are your goals, WRT your fertility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My cycles are 25-26 days (they used to be 28-29). I haven't started charting yet. We moved and I need to figure out where I stashed my basal thermometer! I'll be 42 in September, so I feel like if I want to have another baby I don't want to wait much longer.

Thanks for the response!

Dig out that BBT thermometer. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about fertility without a couple months worth of data. I know that's hard to accept when you are, like me, an "older" mom and worried about what the future holds for your family plans... But I swear charting is the answer to all fertility questions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"