Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Protein Shakes and Exercise

Default Protein Shakes and Exercise

I am starting to work out again, and am doing the P90X workout. I was thinking of taking a protein powder/shake for after my workouts. Does anyone know if this is safe along with breastfeeding, and if it is, which brands are safe to use ? I've heard of a Jay Rob's protein shake, but wasn't sure if it was any good?
    Also, will my milk supply go down if i start working out again ?

Default Re: Protein Shakes and Exercise

I don't know about the safety of the powder, in Canada we have a special telephone line we call to ask about the safety of meds or other products. This is their website, you might be able to call them but I'm not sure http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

My DH takes a brand that uses only natural ingredients, it's called DIESEL, but I don't know if it's safe or not.

As for intense workout, I've been working out since DD3 was 3 weeks old, started with just running but increased the intensity shortly after and I could feed twins if I wanted, I have tons of milk.

HTH

Do you know what is in their shakes? Do you have an ingredient list? I know some "energy drinks" are not safe because of the chemicals in them, but if you made protein shakes with peanut butter or something, you could for sure make them safe (and probably a lot less expensive).
    You can exercise and breastfeed. I run marathons and ran my first post-baby marathon when my daughter was 9 mos old. It was fine, although yes sometimes after a longer run I would have a little less milk that morning. I ate lots of brown rice to keep my supply up, although I struggled with borderline supply (but it had nothing to do with exercise).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I read about it, and there are only natural ingregients in it. You can actually pronounce everything !
    Does brown rice keep up your milk supply ? and How ?

There are some foods that are associated with increased milk production, although I don't know how much research there is behind it (who would pay for it, right?) but oatmeal, green leafy vegetables, barley and brown rice all are supposed to help with milk supply. Brown rice helped me the most. It'd be worth a try and they're all healthy foods anyway so you can experiment and see what helps you.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you !

I am a competitive athlete with an 8 mo old baby that I nurse. I use advocare products for my protein shakes. They are not over the counter and were used exclusively by my university when I was there. They are also not on the list of companies banned by the NFL and NBA for having substances in them that can test positive in random drug screens. Advocare pays for additional testing to ensure that what they say is in the product is in the product. I have had no issues with it and breastfeeding. I use them simply b/ c what is in them, is what is in them.

Great ! THank you. So far, all I have used every once in a while are the Odwalla protein shakes you can buy at the store.