Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Surgery and Breastfeeding

Default Surgery and Breastfeeding

So I went to the ENT Dr. and finally got him to agree to remove my tonsils. I am not real sure about how to go about BF after since I will be put to sleep for the surgery. I know that after words if given pain killers I wont be taken them. If I can give birth with no pain killers and 2 years before that have no pain killers after my weight loss surgery I shouldn't have a problem with this. How far after my surgery should I be able to breast feed with out fear of the meds from surgery leaking in the my milk?

Default Re: Surgery and Breastfeeding

I'd find out what medicine they are planning to use (the anesthesiologist can help with that even if the ENT can't, but I would think the ENT would know) and call Infant Risk (also open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time at (806)-352-2519). I had general anesthesia, and in my case had to wait 24 hours, but my LO was a year old and not nursing as frequently at the time. I just pumped and dumped for that time to stay comfortable and maintain supply balance. I think it depends on what they give you to knock you out.

You should be able to talk to your anesthesiologist and let them know you're breastfeeding, and they'll let you know when it's safe--after a surgery while nursing, I was able to nurse as soon as I was awake enough not to drop my son (I know that sounds weird, but that's exactly what they told me, that when I was awake enough not to drop him I was fine to nurse). I will say this, though, and it isn't to scare you, but to prepare you (I had my tonsils out in my twenties)--this is going to hurt. Recovering from the tonsillectomy took way longer than I expected, and was much worse than recovering from my c-section. I had it done on a Thursday thinking I'd be back at work Monday, since I have a high pain tolerance, but it didn't work that way. It's much easier on kids, for sure.

Good luck!

I know its going to hurt bad my mom had hers out in her 20s oddly I rather suffer that at this point than getting sick for months on end with strep. I had strep last month I would take the antibiotics and as soon as they were fully done it would come back i ended up doing 4 curses of antibiotics before it went away. It would be nice to have one year where I dont have weeks of being sick with strep.Also from the reading it sounds like it kinda depends on how they remove them how fast you heal and what not . Thanks I dont know why I didnt think about asking the anesthesiologist or just ask the DR when I was at my appointment. I guess I'll chalk it up to being excited to have them removed after all this time of begging to have them out.

I know what you mean about being sick all the time--since I had mine removed (almost 20 years ago) I've been sick maybe 4 times. I hope you're better quickly!

I can't wait to get mine out but have been waiting until my son weans. I should have had them taken out before I had him after my daughter weaned. Good luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

with the pp I had major abdominal surgery and they explained to me that once I was awake enough to sit up and hold my son I was fine to nurse. be sure to mention that you want pain meds that are compatible with BF and call infantrisk with any drug names
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I recently had surgery and was put under anesthesia. I had one nurse tell me I was fine to nurse as soon as I was up and able to function, and another nurse tell me to pump and dump for 24 hours. So, I compromised...I pumped and dumped for 12 hours and nursed after 12 hours. I was also on 5 different medications and the book "Medications and Mother's milk" was MY LIFE SAVER! Very useful information and that was what I used as my guide. As stated in PP, be sure to tell them you are BFing, because sometimes they can choose different meds to give you that are safer.

On a personal note, my supply did go down after my surgery and multiple trips to the hospital/ER. So keep that in mind if you notice a difference in nursing afterwards.

Good luck :-)

And there are pain killers that are BFing compatible; again, talk to the people at Infantrisk.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting