Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement after 3 weeks.

Default Engorgement after 3 weeks.

Some background...
    My daughter was born at 39 weeks. She was not jaundice but was still very sleepy and did not eat much. She is 3 weeks this week and we finally reached birth weight at the end of last week. She is still nursing well although I have to use a shield due to flat inverted nipples.
    Today, seemingly out of the blue my breast became painful and engorged. I have hard knots in both breats all along the outside. I have not skipped any feedings and my daughter has given me plenty of wets and dirtys today. I can't figure out why I am suddenly so full again. When I pumped after her evening feeding tonight, I pumped over 7 ounces total when I was only getting between 3-5.
    I would appreciate any insight or suggetions any one has to offer.

Default Re: Engorgement after 3 weeks.

her nursing has not altered over the past couple of days? maybe she has been using a stronger suck, removing more milk and now she has slowed down a little. maybe she was going trough a growth spurt or not feeling well.

i would just make sure you nurse her often and massage your breasts some to avoid clogged areas. i would not worry as long as she seems to be alert, has enough diapers etc.

with the PP. Oversupply can wax and wane with time- it sounds like you're going thrgh a waxing phase. Are you pumping a lot? If you're pumping in addition to nursing, that will encourage supply to increase, and can bring oversupply roaring back. Also, are you able to get those knots of engorgement out? If not, you may be dealing with a plugged duct.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am pumping because I have to go back to work at 6 weeks and I will need a supply to take with me. I also seem overly full and pumping provides at least temporary relife even though I realize I am increasing not decreasing supply by pumping. What are some tricks to get the knots out? They are really painful. I got one breast back to normal but the other breast has poor let down is full of lumps and I painful to nurse and pump.

Okay, I think you probably need to back off on the pumping a bit! Relieving fullness is a good way to perpetuate a problem. If you're overproducing to the point that you're uncomfortable, you want to hand express just enough to restore comfort, allowing supply to diminish to a more reasonable level. Really emptying out the breast with the pump just makes the problem worse.

I know you want to go back to work with a big stash in the freezer, but if you respond well to pumping you probably don't need to be more than a couple days ahead. What you pump at work will be enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"