Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Despite 11 months I still don't feel my milk is good enough

Default Despite 11 months I still don't feel my milk is good enough

I've been nursing exclusively with solids in the picture since 6 months. After a tough 4 wks in the beginning of having my baby's top and bottom frenulum clip, tube feeding at the breast, pumping after each feeding and cranial sacral therapy, I began nursing pain free. However, my girl has always been in the low end of weight gain. She was born at 7 2 and now at 11 months she's about 18 lbs. She's a spirited girl, who is long like me is standing these days and a big babbler. She's only had a slight cold 1 time but is strong like a horse. I know these things should convince me that my milk supply is just fine, but if she was chunkier I think I would feel better. Some babies much younger than her who are breastfed are way bigger.

I had cysts removed as a teen so it's always in the back of my head as if that were something that may have affected my production. However, she is happy and wouldn't she not want to be at the breast if she was getting enough? I continue to nurse her on demand and she she snacks and food throughout the day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Despite 11 months I still don't feel my milk is good eno

Are you getting negative messages from family/friends or has there been concern expressed by a doctor about her growth? Babies come in all shapes and sizes just like the rest of us. My son was off the charts huge, despite a lot of trouble I had getting started with nursing. My daughter was small despite a very healthy breastfeeding relationship right from the start.

no advice here, but I complete understand where you're at. my dd, who is still BF on demand, just now at 18 months, hit 20 pounds. I have often felt the way you do. I know my dd is fine, she's a walking, talking energetic munchkin, but I have certainly struggled with the fears that come with having a smaller child. just letting you know you're not alone
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

It sounds like you're doing just fine! I know it's really hard to banish those persistent doubts from your mind, but you wouldn't have such a healthy, active baby if your milk was inadequate. Remember that, as the PP said, healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, just like adults. You don't have a chunky baby, but believe me when I tell you that having a slender child is not going to be a problem in the long run. I predict that in a couple years you'll be hearing your pediatrician congratulate you on having somehow saved your child from the epidemic of childhood obesity.

Another thing to remember is that a baby's breastmilk needs don't escalate as time goes on. A breastfed baby's milk intake peaks in early infancy and then remains more or less constant until she begins to transition to a majority-solids diet. If you got your LO to 6 months on breastmilk alone, there's no reason to worry at this point that you're not making enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you mamas! You ladies are the best But yes, it's the constant...she's so tiny etc. My response is always healthy supersedes chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxmom View Post
    Thank you mamas! You ladies are the best But yes, it's the constant...she's so tiny etc. My response is always healthy supersedes chunky.
    right? man, if one more person says to me, "She's so tiny," I might just punch them I actually had someone tell me the other day that her kids were that big when they were born
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

I've been told the same Saidah!