Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy baby

Unhappy Gassy baby

Hello,

I am concerned about my baby who is and can be very gassy. She is EBF and 3 1/2 months old. Everyone says that she is colicky or that her gas is unusual. This is very frustrating to me, because I think my daughter is just fine. Is it normal for a EBF baby to be really gassy ? She rarely fusses, but her daycare teacher keeps asking me questions, like what my diet is, and what I'm eating...or that I should take her to the doctor. It's driving me crazy, and I just want to snap at her and tell her my daughter is fine ! My baby passes alot of gas, but while/after she eats she is almost NEVER fussy ! She passes a BM about every 5 days too. She wouldn't have an allergy to what I'm eating, if she is really gassy, would she ?
    Please help !
    I'm a frustrated mommy . = ((

Default Re: Gassy baby

You know your baby best. If you feel like she's fine, she is!

Some babies are just gassy. In the absence of other symptoms (discomfort, inadequate weight gain, bloody poops), you can pretty much ignore the possibility of allergy. It may be that your baby prefers to let her gas out the bottom end of her digestive system rather than burping it out at the top. Having a lot of toots or stinky toots... Those are just the human condition, even for little babies!

Infrequent pooping is very normal for a breastfed baby, and many babies go as infrequently as once a week. When they do, their poops tend to be voluminous and their gas tends to be fairly smelly. Maybe your DCP is unfamiliar with this particular pattrn?

I have to wonder why people are calling your baby "colicky" if she is rarely fussy. Colicky babies are the ones who scream inconsolably, sometimes with evidence of pain. If she's not screaming her head off, then it's not colic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ahhh....some clarification. THANK YOU ! I just needed some reassurance that I was right and not crazy !

Also, if she is in fact experiencing discomfort and not just passing gas while at daycare have they considered the possibility that it's how they feed her? Not your milk but rather the feeding position/speed at which they feed her that could be causing some discomfort while she is with them (which would explain why you're not seeing it at all)? Absent other symptoms I am with Mommal, she sounds good. My daughter farted pretty much all the time as an infant. exclusively breastfed, just passed a lot of gas. Never unhappy, never fussy, just gassy.

Nothing wrong with farting it out... I had a good friend growing up whose dad was a gastroenterologist and he used to say if you were in a bad mood or didn't feel well that you should "just fart it out." That always stuck with me. He was serious, too!