Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birth control

Default Re: Birth control

I'm planning on ParaGard this time around. Would love to hear what you choose. The only downside I've heard is intense periods for some people. Like longer and more crampy. Obviously it's not true for everyone. I'm 99% decided but have at least a couple months before my appt. so if you report back it would be awesome.

Heavier flow is the major complaint with ParaGard. Also, it doesn't prevent ovulation or fertilization, just implantation- and some people have a moral objection to that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's my understanding that its main function is preventing fertilization - the copper makes kills off sperm. It would prevent implantation if fertilization took place, but assuming it is effective with its primary function they say it would be rare. In fairness, the same argument would still be the case, though, because those who are morally opposed would still be opposed because of the possibility of preventing a fertilized egg from implanting.

Sorry. I'm not sure there's a point to the ramble, but it does prevent fertilization.